July 31, 2011

"One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish."

The ONE and ONLY thing we miss about our old apartment is the swimming pool there. I am so grateful to have had that chance to teach my kids how to swim. That saved me a lot of money on swimming lessons this year! 

 My kids turned into little fish...



While living there we took advantage of going at least 3-4 times a week. Staying sometimes up to 5 hours swimming!  We went through 3 bottles of sunscreen, 50 extra diapers, and my bath towels had never been washed so much before, but it was so worth it!

  The first week the girls wouldn't even get in the pool. By the third week they got in but were scared to death and screamed if we let go of them. The second month they got a little more independent by using their arm float-ies I had bought for them, telling them, they won't drown.

Days later after Madisen had been using them, I cracked up when she told me, "Mom, you were RIGHT. These arm float-ies really do work. And you really won't drown." (I'm "RIGHT"?.... what was that?)

Madisen finally convinced Avery to give them a try too and as soon as Avery did, she declared, "I am SO SO happy!!!" (hilarious!)


A few weeks after that I told Madisen she was swimming so well she probably didn't even need her float-ies anymore.

She of course, couldn't believe I would suggest such a thing and protested profusely.

Yet, for some odd reason the next day while swimming her arm float-ies had mysteriously gotten a hole in them.

Hmmm...that's odd. ;)

SO she swam without them and did... AWESOME. 






Emily actually fell asleep for a few minutes...
Emily loved going swimming too. Any time anyone even mentioned the word, "pool" or "swim" she excitedly ran to the bathroom carrying her swimsuit over to me or running to put her shoes on. 

We miss the BIG pool at the apartment and thought of buying one that would be fairly big to swim in to put in out back yard. But didn't. We just got a small kid pool, only 2 feet tall, but they seem to be enjoying that just as much. Next year hopefully we will get a bigger pool, one they can actually "swim" in.


*I am on a roll with posting this week. Heck yes!

5 comments:

Alex and Kimberly Rasmussen said...

You really are on a roll, I hadn't check your blog for a while, and what fun to see so many post!! I am glad yu got to spend some time with mom, and the pool pictures are great!! Great Job Madi!!

Hawkins Family said...

I bet you are really missing that pool with the insane heat you've been having. Has it been as bad there as in Dallas? I can't believe its been like 30+ straight days in the hundreds...that's misserable. I hope you guys aren't melting!

The Lorenc Family said...

Cute cute girls. How fun! Go Madi!

Joanna said...

How fun! I love when my kids will start/learn to trust me and what I say (sometimes it's not too often) :D Love the pic of Emily floating - she looks like a sunbathing beauty. :D

Tammy said...

I'm so glad the girls love to swim now, especially since you live in such a hot place. Trust me I know since I grew up in Las Vegas. It is also so great to build confidence and healthy bodies while having fun. Good jub with the posting I am finally catching up with commenting.