May 28, 2010

Tuxedo Ready


When our little Ethan passed away, my mom had made Ethan a little tuxedo that he could wear to be buried in. As my mom was making his tuxedo, she felt impressed to make and sew another one. After finishing that one, she again felt impressed to make a few more tuxedos. She didn't know why at first but then knew why- to donate them to the University of Utah Hospital for other little boys that might not make it.

I told my mom to leave her address for those that wanted to contact her to thank her. (I know I would want to thank someone for a tuxedo for my son). So she did, and just today she received a letter from a family in Utah who had twins-a boy and a girl. They wrote that their son had passed away just two days after he was born and that they buried him in the little tuxedo that my mom had made. Their twins were born 16 weeks early and their little girl, Kassidy was still fighting hard to live. I pray that their little girl lives and that this family can have peace with their son's passing. It's a devastating thing to lose a child and I just pray that they feel that peace and love as we did during this most difficult time. I am also grateful for my mom for listening to the spirit and acting on those impressions she felt. She has taught me so much about prayer and listening to those promptings. She has had some amazing experiences through out her life and I just really admire her strength in the Lord.

Ryan and I have been told by doctors and nurses that boys just have a harder time when born so early. They don't fight as hard as girls do for some reason. Even though that may be true, for Ryan and I, we have always felt that Ethan came down to help Emily down because she was too scared to come alone and he was being that "Big" brother for her. I haven't spoken too much about Ethan since his passing, because some things are just sacred and it can still be difficult at times to talk about. But as I heard about this sweet family going through a similar situation as we did, my heart aches for them and my thoughts turned to our little boy. Tomorrow we are headed out as a family to visit him where he was buried. So this letter that this sweet family wrote made me want to share just a few personal experiences that happened to our family.



When the twins were born, Ryan gave them each a blessing. When he placed his hands on Ethan's head he told Ethan to be obedient. We didn't really understand at the time why Ryan had said that. And as more and more time passed we knew Ethan wasn't going to make it. Before taking Ethan off the ventilator, Ryan once again was able to give him a father's blessing. Which again, he felt impressed to tell Ethan to be obedient. Soon after Ethan's passing we realized why, or came to the impression as to why, that was said. Ethan's time on earth was about finished. Ethan had fulfilled his mission on earth and he needed to be obedient to our Heavenly Father and return home, however much Ethan wanted to stay with us and his sister, Emily, he needed to return home. So he did. And as I was holding him I was overcome with so much peace and I felt as though I were being held myself. The words, "I'm ready, Mom. I'll be okay" came to my mind and I looked at Ethan and knew. I told Ryan and he felt the same. We knew that it was time to let him go.

There isn't a day that goes by I don't think about him. It's hard looking at Emily and not thinking of Ethan in some way too. What he would look like? What would his smile be like? What color would his eyes be? What would his personality be like? ...so many questions. However, we KNOW this is what was supposed to happen and we KNOW we will see him again. And knowing those two things bring us peace and a calm assurance that it is indeed true.

12 comments:

RORYJEAN said...

Oh Christy- that was beautiful. I can't begin to imagine what it would be like to lose a child.You and your family have dealt with all of this with so much grace and optimism. What an inspiring story about your mom making the tuxedos, too! Thanks for sharing it.

Alex and Kimberly Rasmussen said...

What a sweet post! What a great story to hold onto, I love that the plan is so much greater then us all!! May you find the strength you need during these times-love you

Andrea said...

You are amazing, Christy. Thank you for sharing that. Now I'm crying. Dang it.

Pattie D said...

You are so right Christy, You have an amazing mother, a great woman of faith, I have told her and I will tell you I don't know anyone who has greater faith than your mother. So with that said, look the apple doesn't fall far from the tree! YOU are a product of her great example to you. It is a pleasure to be associate with such wonderful women in my life! Thank you for sharing your sweet story of such a valiant son! May his example, carry your family through to the celestial glories you all desire! Love you and I hope your day at the cemetary is filled with lots of love, peace, and happiness

Nicole Leavitt said...

What a sweet post! You have a way with words that brings the spirit into the post. I cant imagine what you must have gone through or felt when Ethan passed, but you are so strong and its awesome that your faith will keep you strong in knowing you will see him again! :)

Leslie said...

This is so touching. You're a precious family with precious children.

Skye said...

Thank you for sharing that sweet story. All I can say is that you and Ryan are AMAZING!!! Your faith and testimony strengthens all who associate with you. I remember when you showed me those precious tuxedos and shared with me that your mom had made more for other families. What a dear mother you have for listening to the Spirit and showing love to other families. Hmmm....like mother like daughter :)

Christy said...

Thank you all for your kind words to me and our family. It's so nice to know we have friends that love us and care about us!

Joanna said...

You have such a sweet spirit and way of sharing your thoughts that it just can't help but touch other people's hearts. We love you guys and feel heartache for you as you will always feel for Ethan. But you are strong and really do lift others up as you continue moving forward still remembering and loving your son. You are such a special family and always will be. We love you guys!

Cristi said...

wow- that is so sweet! thank you for sharing that with us. we love you. your faith is such an example to me.

Hawkins Family said...

Christy you are such an amazing example. I love reading your blog. I'm always inspired and uplifted by the things you share.

Tammy said...

I loved reading your post about your mother and Ethan. I agree that your mother is amazing and we love your parents so much. When you guys were going through this your mother and I talked several times to try to help support you and Ryan at this time. I love how we can all share and support throughout these experiences as a united family without any jealousy or other issues.

We see daily how the influence of your parents has helped shape you into who you are. I am grateful that they helped prepare a worthy wife for my son. Thank you for being willing to learn, grow and exceed what your family gave you. We love you all.