March 1, 2010

It's ALL in the Numbers


Weeks.


Two weeks is a pretty short amount of time if you think about it. I mean doesn't it feel like Christmas was just a two weeks ago? Yet, it's already March! Ok, maybe not Christmas. How about Valentines' Day? Well, Valentines' Day WAS just two weeks ago. Usually I would say that two weeks flies by without much notice but the last two weeks have been pretty long for me!

My better half has been gone since Valentines Day. Ryan left for St. George, Utah for a pediatrics rotation and won't be home until this Thursday. So it's been a long two weeks (and counting) without him. And I feel like such a wimp for saying that, as I think of so many mothers(or fathers) out there where their spouse is gone for months or even years over seas or for their jobs. How miserable that would be, but they make the best of it. So go ahead. Say it.

I am a WIMP.

I am at the beck and call of my three little ones, who "need" more like, want something every other minute...it makes for a long two weeks. Actually, I shouldn't complain at all because it's been better than what I originally imagined. So thank goodness for my wild imagination, as it's been nothing like what I thought. Not that I want to do it ever again if I had to, but really it hasn't been too bad. There have just been those 'moments' where all three girls are needing my attention at the exact same time and I feel as if my head is going to exploded. Like yesterday for example; Madisen was yelling for me to help her with this part on a computer game, Avery was calling me to help her wipe her bum, and Emily was screaming her head off because she was more than ready to eat. And yet, all I wanted to do was curl up in Ryan's arms on the couch and just sleep. *sigh*

Those moments are always a little chaotic, and I find myself wishing I had octopus arms during those moments. Can you picture it??

...Children running this way and that, noses' and bums needing to be wiped, dishes needing to be done, bills needing to be paid, spills needing to be cleaned up, hugs needed to be given and having arms extended around the house doing it all at the same time in a matter of minutes!!!



That would be nice.

We, mothers, are already the best multitasking creatures to ever live so we can do all that and much more, but not in a matter of minutes, all at the same time...(well, maybe some of you).

If only we had eight arms.

Of course, eight arms has it's disadvantages too...

The last two weeks when I have been in a situation that I find myself getting upset with my girls, I have tried to think of this:

How simply cute they are during these moments...


So really, how long could I be upset?


Two weeks??


Nah.

More like MINUTES.




9 comments:

Rachel Schanz said...

oh man...I love your posts! Casey will have to be in Wyoming for his last rotation and I am not looking forward to being alone either, hang in there!

Joanna said...

You're such a great mom! I know it's got to be rough but I also know you're probably doing better than I would if I were in your place. Love ya and your cute little kiddies.

Andrea said...

I feel for ya (Although Ty was only gone three days/week for a year, so it wasn't quite as bad). Keep up the good work!

Cristi said...

shnykies! i would have died after 2 weeks! nice work!

amy jane carpenter said...

I'd be dead for sure. Now you're my idol.

Genny said...

stay strong! you can do it!!!

RORYJEAN said...

Oh man- I can't imagine. 8 hours seems like an eternity when Cam goes off to work- two weeks! I hope it flies by for you and the girls are on their best behavior. Wish I was around to give you a break! It really makes you appreciate what it must be like to be a single parent- I cannot imagine.

Skye said...

I love your posts Christy! You're so cute! I bet that 2 weeks felt like forever, but I'm glad it's over with and you guys are back together now. Hope your enjoying the nice weather in St. George, while we get snowed on back here in Idaho :) Take care!

Leslie said...

You're not a wimp - it's hard when they're gone (for any length of time). It really makes us appreciate our husbands when we have to be apart. Now he's home right? Hope you had a girls night out - or went and sis something fun and out of the ordinary (like a pedicure or something) :)