March 1, 2010

Pediatric Rotation

Hello friend and foe alike. It is I, Ryan, fighter of boo-boos and destroyer of disease. I am currently in St. George, Utah (as you probably figured out by my wife's post) for the next 3 weeks doing a Pediatric rotation. I'll be back in Pocatello to present my Master's thesis to some of the faculty at PA school on Friday, so I'll get to return home to my wife before she pulls all her hair out (being bald is cool, but not that cool).


Pediatrics has been pretty fun and interesting. In PA school, they called Pediatrics "Veterinary Medicine" because your patients usually don't talk and you have to try and figure out what's wrong with them by the cries of pain they make during your physical exam. A lot like cats and dogs.

Being around kids is great! They are way fun and laugh a lot. You can tickle them. Tickling just doesn't work in the ER or family practice when your patient is a 35 year old guy with a neck tattoo.

I was in a patient's room with the doctor, and as he was talking to the patient and the patient's mom, I was standing by the wall, listening and gleaning wisdom. The patient's little sister was sitting next to me. She was about 3 years old and had on a purple shirt with a cat on it. I glanced over at her and she gave me a big frown. So in jest I frowned back at her. She then quickly stood up, ran over to me, and stomped aggressively on my foot. She quickly retreated back to her seat and frowned again at me. The others in the room were oblivious to the injustice that had just ensued. I looked back at her between grimaces of pain and mouthed a silent
"why?"

That's just it. Kids don't need a reason, they just do it. I'll never forget the 10 year old kid with ADHD that peed his pants in the middle of his physical exam. He looked at me in utter disbelief, as if he had no idea why his bladder had suddenly decided to revolt against him and release itself all over his pants.

But I can't complain. The kids are great, the Doctor, PA, and Nurse Practitioner are very good, and I haven't been vomited on (yet!)

(knock on wood)


7 comments:

Cristi said...

ha ha! good laughs from this post. "why?" lol!

Just Only Me said...

I love it. Seriously love it. You guys are awesome, way to go SuperMom and SuperDad!!

The Lorenc Family said...

haha Ryan! I can totally envision you saying "why????" too good. thanks for that!

Alex and Kimberly Rasmussen said...

Well christy you are probably snuggling with your honey right now!! Glad you guys are back together again. I got your letter in the mail the other day. thanks so much you are so talented -that card ws just beautiful!! Thanks for being my best friend and I am glad you made it through the two weeks!love ya

Morgan said...

This is Jeremy. Love the stories and experiences. If you need some physical therapy for that foot let me know.

Joanna said...

That's hilarious!

Skye said...

Kid's are hilarious! Thanks for sharing the stories. I'm glad you guys are reunited now :)