August 25, 2009

An Apology from Football fans

My wonderful wife recently posted about her favorite show, "The Biggest Loser" about to start the next season in 2 weeks. That got me to thinking, I need to let the world know that, not only does the Biggest Loser, school, and autumn start in a few short weeks, but so does FOOTBALL!
Ah, my friends, there is nothing like the sweet smell of clipped grass and the colors of falling leaves as they drift across the streets, parks, and yards. Nay, 'tis a time of year second to none. But hark! What is that sound? The distant rumbling of snare drums and the blare of marching band brass lights a fire in your soul. The shrill TWEEEET of a referee's whistle awakens your
spirit from it's involuntary 8-month hibernation. The loud BANG of crunching helmets against shoulder pads, the roar of rabid fans, and the cry of victory emminating from the stadium.


That's right, folks. College football is here and I am chomping at the bit to watch teams both beloved (Boise State and Utah) and teams loathed (most BCS conference teams and especially the Idaho Vandals, Oklahoma Sooners, and Ohio State Buckeyes) do battle on the gridiron.
I understand that most of you reading this are not as super stoked about the coming college football season (because most of you are girls or pansies (except you, Aaron Moore, Jeremy Johnson and Nate Morin), but please do me a favor and don't judge those of us that are as being couch potatoes and worthless bums (although you are mostly accurate in your assessment). We, the worshippers of the game of football, only ask for 4 months of Saturdays with which to fill our cravings. There are only a proverbial handful of games that we are able to watch amidst the chores, duties, and labors we must perform.

So when your hubby begs you to hand over the remote and go grab him some snacks, do him and all us guys a favor, forgive us for our couch potato-ness and take a seat beside us for a while and enjoy some pure unadulterated testosterone driven man-sports. Your husband will love you for it!

12 comments:

The Moore Family said...

Ryan, this is Aaron (one of your testerone driven man friends) you have finally put into words how I feel. Tis the season for football season. I hope all the women that read this adhere to your very wise counsel. Peace out my brotha'
I'll be in touch with you about the BYU vs Okalahoma party.

The Moore Family said...

Hello- this is Amy, the wife of the very crazy, addicted to football man we call Aaron Moore. Ryan, your post definitely made me laugh. I just wish my hubby would wise up and drop those cougars and cheer for the right team! GO BRONCOS!!!

Pattie D said...

Gee whiz Ryan! Now you are in big trouble...I was just beginning to cope with all this blasted hot weather and tell myself lies about why I was getting up at the butt crack of dawn to teach seminary...even though most places school is just starting or will start shortly...no I have been teaching for a month now, cool crisp weather...mowed grass? Leaves...apples..umph! Thanks now I am homesick again!
I guess I will just have to watch a football game on the couch (not in the stands...too hot) and turn up or is that down the air conditioning and make some hot chocolate and just pretend...does fall air come in a can?
Love you guys
MOMC

Just Only Me said...

Love it love it love it! I'm right along with my Ryan loving football and can't wait for the season to start! Love this post.

Joanna said...

That was beautiful, man. It brought a tear to my football starved eyes. I hope now my dear, but football ignorant, wife will put the honey-do list on hold for the all important Utah and Bronco games (and any other games I deem critical). You've struck a blow for college football fans everywhere and we thank you for your words.

Sincerely,

Nate

Skye said...

Jordan would love your post Ryan!!! He is a hardcore football fan...believe me :) I love to watch a good football game with Jordan, just not as often as he does :) Football is like a religion to Jordan and he feels guilty if he misses a game (haha). But I will be sure to cut Jordan a break once and a while with all his football games!

Morgan said...

Hello. This is another wife of a crazed, football beggin' fool...WE DONT EVEN HAVE A COUCH IN FRONT OF OUR TV! HAHA! So we will see how this works out. He's (the afore-mentioned crazed male) gonna be the first eve floor potato! Haha!
Thanks for the laugh Ryan. :) Love ya guys.
Morgan

Cristi said...

lol! alan has never watched a game of football in his life! hey, is he one of the pansies you were talking about?......

Christy said...

Nay, Cristi, Alan is anything but a pansy. In fact, I've actually watched football games with him and, though he may not know that the Dallas Cowboys are a football team and the difference between a field goal and an extra point, he is not a pansy. And the same goes for those of you that I forgot to list in my blog that are not pansies.

Wifes, if your husband scrapbooks or takes longer than you do to get ready for church, he is a pansy. Otherwise, rest assured that he is not a pansy, but a pretty normal guy, whether or not he watches football.

Christy said...

I, Ryan, wrote that last comment. Not my beautiful wife whose picture is displayed there. Sorry for the confusion.

The Lorenc Family said...

Braday has said EVERY Saturday for the past MONTH... I really want to watch FOOTBALL. It is seriously in the air. Do you do fantasy football, or are you only into college football? I will definitely heed your wise words and give him the remote and stock his snacks. Thanks for the tip! :)

Cristi said...

It's ok Ryan (and Christy)! I know you were just joshin!