June 26, 2009

So what's going on with Emily?

In my last post about Emily, I failed to mention the results of her head ultrasound. It showed that the level 2 brain bleed was retracting or going away. Such great news, I can't believe I didn't mention it!! Also the PVL condition they thought she could develop that showed up in the second head ultrasound, is not even showing up on the third head ultrasound! There are no signs of it at all! What a miracle! For being born at 23 weeks Emily is doing great. We feel very blessed with all the progress she is making and can't wait to get her home! We know Ethan is helping her and cheering her on.
She is back on the CPAP but it is currently hooked up to the ventilator. The ventilator is on a low setting which will be weaned off in the next day or so to see if she can do all the breathing on her own. The ventilator gives her 10 breaths every minute and she makes up the rest on her own. So today they are weaning that down to 5 breaths and tomorrow they will try for the second time to see if she can do it all on her own!


Emily is now 2 months and 1 week old! She is also weighing in at a whopping 3 pounds, 2 ounces!!! She has almost tripled her weight!


Emily is still being fed through a tube every three hours and is getting 23 ml. of breast milk. I have been pumping at home every 3-5 hours and storing the milk in the freezer, till we can take it down to her on the weekends. Ryan got to hold her for Father's Day and was so excited. That was his second time holding her. We got pictures, but on a Kodak diposable flash camera, which we have to get developed. The battery on our digital camera died, (great timing, huh?) So we are in the process of ordering a new one. Sorry for no new pictures! Once she is off the CPAP, we will be able to hold her more often, but for now we only get to touch or look at her through her incubator. Also Ryan got to hear her little voice for the first time. She made a faint, barely above a whisper, cry while we were there the day before Father's day. It was a beautiful cry and so cute!

Often times when babies are born early they have problems with their eyesight. It's called, Retinopathy of prematurity or commonly known as ROP. "ROP is a potentially blinding eye disease primarily affecting premature infants weighing less than 2 pounds, 12 ounces. The disease spurs the growth of abnormal blood vessels in the eye, vessels that leak fluid and blood, and scar the nerve tissue inside the eye. This increases the risk of retinal detachment and severe vision loss in these infants, most born more than two months prematurely."

Emily has had two eye exams to see if her eyes are developing the way they should be. With the amount of oxygen being pumped into her during the last two months it can sometimes affect her eyes. There is a strong correlation between the two. So it's a fine balancing act, on maintaining the oxygen levels just right. Yet, even if oxygen levels remain steady and low, babies can develop eye problems anyway just from being born so early. They can have mild problems like wearing glasses, to severe problems like total blindness. Ryan and I feel very optimistic however, that Emily will be ok, and she will not be blind. Usually before babies even get to that point doctors can most often times prevent vision loss just by detecting and treating it early on by laser surgery or other means.

Emily may need glasses down the road, but so far the nurse practitioner/doctor is remaining positive about it too and says her eyes look pretty good for how early she was. Emily is developing a little bit of a ridge, which is a level one for ROP, and well, that whole thing in itself is complicated to even understand let alone try to explain. Sorry, but you get the idea....I hope.
Well that's the lastest news on our little miracle. We feel so blessed with the progress she is making, and we feel extremely grateful to have both of these little angels come to our family. Even though it was the hardest thing we have ever been through, we have learned and grown so much from Ethan and Emily. And we are, in so many ways, closer to the Lord and his love for us and we wouldn't trade that knowledge or experience for anything.

I wanted to say, Thank you again to everyone for being there for us. For all the cards, thoughts, messages, hugs, love, visits, flowers, donations, prayers, fasting for our family, meals, helping with the funeral, phone calls, and for your friendships. Thank you!!!

12 comments:

Unknown said...

We are so happy to hear Emily is doing good. I can't believe how much she has grown... she's over 3 lbs!!! That is great news. Its incredable what prayers will do. We will be back down to Primary's on July 1st so if you need anything let us know!

Ashlie said...

Yay, Christy! That's so amazing and wonderful! I'm so happy that she is doing so well :) I'll keep thinking about all you guys.

Alex and Kimberly Rasmussen said...

So glad to hear that Ryan got to hold her, and that she is doing so well, It brings tears to my eyes to think of what an amazing little miracle she is!! I am glad she is a little fighter and putting on the weight fast-I can't wait till you get to take her home-and you deserve something great for doing all that pumping!! What a Saint-Emily is lucky to have a mommy like you! Good luck with the rest of the adventure-love you

RORYJEAN said...

I am so glad to read that she is doing well. She is a fighter, and is so blessed to have such great parents who can find hope and peace in such a stressful situation. Go Emily!

Unknown said...

I am so glad to hear that Emily is doing awesome. I know that Ethan is with her all the time and is there helping her. They are so close, I bet. It's so scary to see/read all the crazy stuff that comes with an early baby. Emily is so strong and I know she will push through it all.
That's so sweet that Ryan was able to hold Emily on Father's Day and even got to hear her voice. What a blessing!
You guys are great! I sure miss seeing you! let me know if you need anything, not cookies, I know...but I'm always here if you need to talk or whatever! Love ya!

Just Only Me said...

Thanks for the update. What a trooper she is! She is a fighter, isn't she? That's going to make for an entergetic toddler!

(shhhhhhhh-don't tell anyone but we've applied for a couple jobs that are in Pocatello...we could be neighbors again! I'll keep you posted)

Skye said...

Yay for Emily!!! She is getting so big. I can't believe that she is reaching the point of tripling her weight. That's so awesome! Emily is one special little spirit and is definately a fighter :) You better watch out, I think she is going to have quite the personality!!! :)

Andrea said...

That is such good news! What a relief.

Hey, wanna go to the pool with us today?

The Suttons said...

Yay for Emily! That is awesome that she is over 3 pounds! I think about you all of the time, I think you're amazing and please let me know if I can ever do anything for you!

Cristi said...

picturing ryan holding her on father's day makes me want to cry!!!!

Joanna said...

I'm so glad that Emily is doing to well! She is just a little trooper. She must have a strong spirit to be able to handle so much. I think she is just like you said, your little miracle.

Tammy said...

I am so happy that Emily is progressing so well. We are all so blessed!

I remember the first time I held Ryan - words cannot express my joy and fear. Now my son is holding his own little miracle. Wow, I'm speechless.

We feel so blessed for each new spirit that comes into our family. We can't wait to hold Emily. As always you are all in our prayers.