November 11, 2008

"Joy in the Journey"


As I was writing this post on and off this morning, I got emails from two friends and this is what they had to say, "I just wanted to check up on you, you haven't posted anything on your blog for a while and I was making sure you are okay." And my other friend said, "How are you? I noticed you haven't updated your blog..."

AWW!! Ok. So before I go into what's been on my mind lately, I want to start with something positive. I have always felt that I have been extremely BLESSED with the most amazing friends ever put on the earth! All of YOU, you are amazing people, neighbors, sisters, wives, mothers and friends. Even if I didn't have anything else in my life, just your friendships, I would still consider myself one of the most blessed! Thanks for your friendships and concerns.

So to answer my friends' questions, my lack of blogging or lack of interest in blogging, is partly due to "nose in a good book(s)", (which I have some more books I want to recommend, maybe for a later post), but also because a few days after Halloween, somehow we lost the little memory card that goes in our camera to be able to take pictures. It's just easier when you have a picture to write about and the fact that I LOVE pictures. You don't have to have pictures to blog, I know, but that's just the excuse I am going to use. The last month or so, I have also been a bit (ok, truth is VERY and I am not even sure what the right word is... frustrated, discouraged, maybe annoyed) with some things. (Mostly just frustrated with myself.) Chalk them up on my, "I need to change this about myself," list, as it has substantially grown since the last year or so.

I would have thought that by getting older that I would be less moody and irritated by fewer and fewer things that I do, because I would be becoming "better" but it appears that it is the exact opposite. Why? I really can't put my finger on it, maybe I am going through a mid-life crisis and am trying to salvage what remaining youthful years I have left. Because as of lately it has just occured to me that I am closer to thirty then to twenty and just knowing that I can never go back makes me feel a bit... depressed? (I know some of you are closer to 30 than I am or have reached that milestone sometime ago) Nevertheless, this, along with other pressing matters, has been lingering in my thoughts the past few months and I thought, maybe writing about it might help. So this post might be "mild" complaining, some pet peeves, or maybe an early mid-life crisis?! So here I go... (If you don't want to read all this don't worry, it won't make me feel bad because I won't even know! :)
It's been hard having Ryan gone so much. I thought I was adjusting just fine, even telling myself and others that, maybe to convince myself that I am just that, "fine" (that makes me sound stuck-up, I don't mean in the beauty context but just in how I FEEL.) Some days are fine, but I have noticed that I have been just doing what I need to do to get through the day. A day without too much chaos, as in: a trip to the ER, poop on the floor, or spilled-milk (no pun intended) is condsidered a FINE day. Last week I was with a friend of mine getting our major bum whipping done at the gym, and she had said something about having "joy in the journey". This really struck me like it hasn't ever before, (maybe because with Ryan gone, I have been just trying to survive each day.) I have heard that several times as most of us have, but I really thought hard about what it means to me and how I can APPLY that to my life. Ryan is the life of our family, he makes things fun and smooths things out with his never-ending patience and because with Ryan gone so much, it's been a struggle for me in so many ways. Last night as I was fixing dinner the girls were crying, and I thought ok, how can I make this a better situtaion? So I started singing(trying to) and dancing as I was cooking, which I do sometimes, but forget when I am tired or not in the "mood". But after having that "Aha" moment in the gym, I have been focusing on having "joy in the journey". So simply by dancing and having fun with the girls, it got them in a better mood. Soon Madi took Avery's hand and they started dancing, singing and laughing together. Though I am still not as good at this as I would like to be, I am trying to make a conscious effort to do better and find the JOY.

But I have also been upset with myself as I am so often for letting MY ANGER get the best of me, and when it does this is what happens... voice starts to rise, finger starts pointing and shaking so frantically it seems I have instantaneously developed Parkinsons' disease. And even before I can get my ranting 15 seconds of lecture in, (because we all know that kids have a little more attention span than a goldfish) Madi's eyes go wondering and I know her thoughts are obviously preoccupied with some dinosaur being trapped underneath the laundry basket from across the room. So in my attempt at not yelling or going insane, I try and remain calm as once again gaining eye contact with Madi and firmly tell her for the 100th time, that even though it was an accident...pooping in our pants is not "cool". *sigh* Seriously, how do you get it in kids' heads that the toilet is where we drop that stuff off?! And then again, I have to tell myself, "find joy in the poop"... I mean, "journey."
The other thing that has been bugging me is all the whining. (Like I AM DOING right now! haha...) I mean my girls are so fun sometimes and they play and laugh together a lot. But when they are both tired and whining, Mom isn't happy. And you know the saying, "When mom ain't happy, no one is." There is such truth in that! Yet, I know that I can change the mood. If I am happy, they are more likely to become happy. (Ryan is really good at that. I am so lucky that all my pleading paid off and he relented to marrying me!) Yesterday was especially trying for me- (must be that time of the month, Ryan would probably say, it's always that "time" of the month). Ryan is such a great husband, even last night he came home at 10:30pm and surprised me with a card that sings and a rose. Thanks honey!

Other thoughts I have had lately, is that through out life (my almost 26 years on earth, phew that's old! haha jk.), I have always gone along or done what people tell me to do, I have never wanted to offend or get into any kind of disagreement or argument. It's just not worth it. So it has always been just easier to do whatever I am told or go along with what someone else wants or thinks. Now first off, I am not a saint. This doesn't mean I am a peacemaker, though I try, I don't always succeed. Second, I am not writing this to get sympathy, or for you to think that I am a victim of harsh put-downs and being walked-on. I don't necessarily feel that way. And third, this doesn't mean I don't have my own opinions or I can't think for myself. (You all know how much I can talk once I get started!) I have just tired to put other people first, as most of us do. I will stop here.
Ok, now that I have conquered having the most negative post ever, haha... sorry! (I think I have been just going through some weird "things" lately with Ryan gone and needing to work on myself- to be a better person. It's probably just hormones. Maybe I am PREGNANT. haha! No I am not. That's not even funny. Because if I was pregnant, I would be throwing up night and day! And I would not be laughing. But getting pregnant has been on my mind...hmm) Thanks for your listending "ears". I feel better that I have gotten ALL that off my chest (though it is a small chest) it feels good to get it off. :)
So what I have learned and what I am consciously trying to think about daily when chaos does emerged: Find Joy in the Journey.

"It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end."

This has become my new motto for MY life.

11 comments:

Alex and Kimberly Rasmussen said...

That was negitive at all-very uplifting and makes me want to be better! Christy I know all to well what you are going through-the only way I got through it was to pretend I was a single mom-I didn't expect anything from Alex (you know being home, doing anything around the house ect) and then when he did come home early or he had the energy to help around the house it was a joy!-It gets lonley and yes it is hard, but when he is working 9-5 and home for dinner and maybe even off early on Wednesdays it will all be worth it :)-YOu are a great mom and I know that you have more patience and love then you are letting on in the post! You're doing great!! love ya

Pattie D said...

Throwing up or being pregnant??? What is really on your mind, I am confused????
You are so normal and you'll find your joy, just look!
hugs
MOMC

Andrea said...

Those are all the same things I have struggled with at one time or another - though I find that about every six months or so I have a definite swing toward that way of thinking, and feel like I'm living someone else's life. I don't know how else to explain the feeling, so sorry if it doesn't make sense.

This may not comfort, but one thing I have discovered is that your husband is never around "more," like you think when you're in school. I remember THAT (thinking it was temporary and he'd someday be all mine) was the one thing that got me through all the husbandless days and nights of college, my husband's commute to Missoula for grad school, bishopric commitments... Then I realized that it NEVER comes, so I best just buck up and get over it. Life never slows down. It just gets split in different directions and all their time gets spent on something or another. I don't know what I was waiting for. Maybe a day when Ty would have nothing to do all day but attend to my every whim? Now I look back and wish I had enjoyed all the time he had when I thought he didn't have ANY. To tell you the truth, I still am not "over" it. I still long for more time with him, but I am hoping to soon grow up enough to realize that THIS is our life, and quit wishing it away. Cause that's what I do. I don't enjoy the journey, cause I'm too preoccupied with the destination - which doesn't actually exist.

If you figure out the secret to enjoying the journey, please fill me in, cause it is a lesson I desperately need to learn!



Sheesh - that wasn't a very uplifting comment. sorry. It's a rainy day. That's my excuse. Like I said before, I think we need to get together and mull these things over in person.

Unknown said...

Oh Christy! I love you! You are such a great person! We all have things we struggle w/... I struggle w/ many of the same things. So know that you are not alone! If you ever need to come hang out or have company w/ Ryan being gone, let me know. I know what it's like to have the hubby gone...Kevin works swing this week and it sure is rough when he's not around!! Thanks for your post. It helps me to know that I am not the only imperfect mom out there! You are great!

The Suttons said...

Christy-seriously, it is scary how alike we are-I am like way amazed right now-I have had those same thoughts myself. You are truly amazing though, and I am so glad that we are friends!!!! If you ever want a date with Ryan on a Saturday night or day, I would be happy to watch your girls!

The Lorenc Family said...

That's it, I'm calling you! :) Sorry I haven't been more of a support! It's just that I'm drowning over here, too! I know that you WILL be who you want to become. I KNOW you will make it through! You are too good want want it too bad to let it go. It's just one day at a time, be nice to yourself! You are doing great in such a stressful situation being placed on you with no preparation. You are a trooper.

Morgan said...

Wow..sounds like you have been going through a lot! That was a very emotional entry, and I can only hope that you are doing better! We will never have our husbands home as much as we want...hope you are okay, and it sounds like you are working on it, but let me know if you need anything, and if you ever need a break, come over!
hugs
morgan

Christy said...

Wow. I didn't think my post sounded so down, but from many of your comments it makes me feel bad, because I am really doing fine...haha, ok, I mean I am really not as down as that post might have come across I guess. You know me, I am always joking around too much. I haven't been going through as much as the rest of you, so I have no room to complain. But it also makes me laugh though, because from some of your comments it seems I have scared some of you to thinking something is terribly wrong...with me. Of course I am working on "it" I am always trying to do better and be better. But really, life is good and I am doing fine. So I am sorry to make some of you worry. I just needed to vent about a few things, don't we all from time to time!?? :)

Thank you for all your nice comments and friendships!

Blake and Lara said...

Hey Christy,
It's almost like therapy to let things all out sometimes! We all need that in life. I too have spent many many married years feeling like I was all by myself, it was especially hard after the kids came. Blake was going to school all day and working until the early morning hours. I would feel so alone sometimes but I KNOW someone was always there to lift me when I felt like I couldn't handle it anymore. If it was a call from a friend or family member or just getting on my knees and asking Heavenly Father to help me through thats what I did. You are NOT alone in your feelings! I have felt since turning 27 that I would have accomplished so much more by now in my life! The fact is we can't go back but we CAN look forward and do our BEST! Your a great girl! Have a great day!!

Cristi said...

I totally relate because of what we went through last year with Alan gone for like 5 days in a row every week. Some days I wouldn't even make dinner at all because I was so overwhelmed so the fact that you made dinner with a song and dance is amazing!

Joanna said...

Christy,
I just want you to know that you are such a caring and loving person that I know you are being a great mom to your girls. Sometimes we all feel let down with ourselves and the daily mistakes we make, but in the end, you're still trying to do better. And your girls always know you love them. That's what they will remember. It's hard not to have Ryan around (I know how that is). It's a sacrifice that is hard for both of you to make, I'm sure. But there is always something good that will come out of trying times. You may see yourself growing stronger and your weaknesses becoming strengths. You might not see it now, but you will someday. And just take things day by day and know that the Lord will help you through anything and will strengthen you when you call upon Him for His help. There will always be bumps in the road, but if you do keep your perspective and look toward the eternal things, you can get through anything.
You are such a great mom and friend. Always remember that. There's been so many times that I have been down and called you and you lift my spirits. We all do stuff we wish we didn't.
I love your new motto. And that's going to be my new motto too.