November 12, 2008

Taking a Stand


So I know the elections are over and that Proposition 8 did pass in California, but for the past few months I have been much engaged in listening to the news and reading stories about the Proposition 8. I have read many stories online about the protestors outside of the temple grounds in Los Angeles and Salt Lake. I feel sick to my stomach after hearing about this and the things that are still happening with those for Proposition 8. My heart aches for those going through all the persecution and for those that do not understand our dear Prophet. I pray for him, the quorum of the twelve and those that are living in California that are suffering the most from this, that they will be protected. Last week, especially, before and immediately after the elections, I have read hundreds of comments (made some myself), and watched dozens of videos on youtube, by those against prop 8 and those for it. It has brought out a fire in me that makes me want to fight even harder for what is right! Right now these protestors are singling out the church and the prophet for our support of Proposition 8, even though the members of the church were only a small percentage of the voters. Church officials did come out and issue a letter that was read in every congregation in California, asking members to "do all you can to support" the proposition by donating "your means and time."

I found this quote on a website, left by a member of the church for those bashing on our church. I found it very profound. It's a quote by Ezra Taft Benson:

"As a prophet reveals the truth it divides the people. The honest in heart heed his words, but the unrighteous either ignore the prophet or fight him. When the prophet points out the sins of the world, the worldly either want to close the mouth of the prophet, or else act as if the prophet didn't exist, rather than repent of their sins. Popularity is never a test of truth. Many a prophet has been killed or cast out. As we come closer to the Lord's second coming, you can expect that as the people of the world become more wicked, the prophet will be less popular with them."
-
I am also shocked when I read remarks and hear stories from "faithful" latter-day saints that say they are and will continue to go against the prophet and his counsel because they don't agree with him. That they think "he" is not being fair. (Umm, last I checked the Lord was in charge and Pres. Monson is receiving revelation from Him?) Or hearing remarks from those that have a family member who is gay and they think there is nothing wrong with what their son, daughter, brother, or sister is doing and they support them and his or her partner. We are definitely in the "last days". It is sad to read and hear about members of the church that fall away. There were hundreds of comments on this one particular site, and a few of them were "ex-members" of the church, who, because of the the church's stand on Proposition 8, decided to leave the church. All I can think is either they never really had a testimony or they are just looking for an excuse for their behavior(s) to leave.
Sorry if I am coming across as cruel, but I think it's so important for church members to stand up for what's right, even if it comes with heavy persecution or because they don't want to hurt a friend/family member's feelings. Yet, on a positive light, there were also many comments from church members and also from non-members expressing their gratitude for the church's stand on this issue. I even remember reading one comment from a non-member who is now interested in the church because they saw the cruel way those against Proposition 8 treated church members and "saw" the truth for what it is.

It has been said that in the last days the Constitution will hang by a thread. (Not sure where to find that..anyone know?) You can see that has already began. Proposition 8 is just the start of many battles we will face in this country. I am so thankful that it passed and for those faithful LDS members who held to the rod and kept the faith. I have a good friend, Cristi that I know donated her time and probably money in this cause and I want to thank her personally. I could go on and on about this but I just want to say I know the prophet will continue to speak for the Lord. We must continue to keep the faith and look to our Prophet and ask, "Am I on the Lord's side? Am I willing to sacrifice anything, for the Lord?"

4 comments:

Mom said...

I am so glad that we are on the same page. I really am so upset and wish I could do something besides blog about it. It is so sad.

Jessica Adams said...

I agree with you 100%! It all somehow gets pinned on the LDS church...The media tries to get us all to think that same sex marriage isn't wrong just different! I was talking about this w/ Spence last night too! People who are gay or single people who want to raise them by their self(some are forced too..this isn't the same) children need a mom and a dad! When Spence has been gone studying Gracie totally needs "Male" attention! She lights up when he walks in the room. All of it kind of a goes together..

Leanne said...

This is such a frustrating issue for me. A group of people who are asking for tolerance and acceptance by singling out and attacking another group because they believe something different... Not setting a very good example of how they'd like to be treated eh? So many different demographics voted in favor of prop 8... but all of a sudden its entirely the church's fault. I thought people were allowed to vote according to their beliefs... haha, ok I'll get off my soapbox...but seriously, so frustrating.

Cristi said...

Thank you so much, Christy! This brings tears to my eyes. I've lost friends and had MANY rude things said to me for standing up for the simple, basic truth of the family and marriage between a man and a woman being part of God's plan. It's sad but lots of people in our stake here in CA have asked that their names be taken off the records of the church. It sounds cruel, but maybe we'll be better off. We need the people who are going to be strong and stand with the prophet and the Lord. That is where safety is in these latter days. I have compassion for those with same sex attraction but we cannot sit back and pretend like we don't know that it's sin. That would do them no good and does not help bring them to the Lord. Most of them don't want to be brought to the Lord, but we still have a responsibility to share the truth. I could go on forever! Thanks for your support. Love you!