June 27, 2008

Bad habits sometimes never die!

Ok, so I have a few bad habits, but one that drives my husband absolutely crazy is when I squeeze the toothpaste from the middle of the tube. Yes, I am one of those people. My whole family is guilty of this one. I am a little embarrassed to share this story, but it's my life!




Ryan and I met the first week I started college and dated all summer. Well the summer semester was just ending and I was going home for the fall and would start back in the spring. At the time I didn't have a car, so Ryan offered to take me home. How nice, huh? He obviously wanted to see what my family was like before getting any closer to me. We drive to Boise and get to my house. Ryan meets everyone for the first time and everything is going great.... My family loves him, he loves my family....sweet! Then it came time to get ready for bed. Ryan and I headed to the bathroom to brush our teeth. Ryan asked to borrow some toothpaste, and immediately I froze as a flashback of what our toothpaste can sometimes look like flashed across my mind... (Now before I went off to college, all my brothers and sisters and me included, had the bad habit of grabbing the toothpaste and just squeezing it anywhere on the tube making big globs all over the top. We did that everytime and eventually the top of the toothpaste would get SO clumpy and crusty that the next time we went to use it, we would never know where it would squirt out next! Gross huh? But if you think that is bad, after we globbed it onto our toothbrush, we would just throw it back in the drawer with all the other things...hair brushes, combs, bobbypins and whatever else would get put in that drawer...sometimes getting hairs stuck in it! I know, I know... totally nasty!! Yet, my siblings (and sadly I have to included myself) didn't care! We probably ended up wasting hundreds of tubes of toothpaste all together, in our quest to squeeze the life out of it! ) SO you can just imagine my horror when Ryan asked to use my family's tube of toothpaste! I didn't know what to say! I should have said, "Umm, no you can't, sorry." OR "Umm, we don't have any left, maybe we should run to the store and get a new tube." But what came out of my mouth was something like, "Sure. It's in that drawer." I held my breath and closed my eyes, praying that the toothpaste was somewhat decent and didn't have a hair in it.... Ryan reached in and pulled it out. However, my worse fears were concluded, as he gave a high gasping noise and dropped the tube on the counter. I still remember that he looked at me with disgust in his eyes and said, "Ewww, there is a hair in it!" I didn't know whether to try and laugh it off or look completely disgusted as well. So I went with what I thought was the safer route... I looked at the toothpaste with the same foreign digust trying to match his and gave the same high gasping noise. "Ewww!" I said, "Who did that?!" Inside I was cringing...thinking, oh man! That really is disgusting!

On the back on any toothpaste it reads:
For best Results, Squeeze tube from the bottom and flatten as you go up.

Obviously my family never read the fine print, or think that was the best way to do it! For these reasons that is why the toothpaste manufacturers add the simple but perfect statement on each and every tube of toothpaste. Not only do you get the best results with your toothpaste but with your significant other too. ;)

I am happy to say even after this horrible experience obviously Ryan still had the gall to marry me! I thought for sure he would have decided against it after seeing that nasty tube of toothpaste. I mean isn't it the way couples squeeze and use a tube of toothpaste the number ONE reason couples fight and get divorced?!

Yet, I am sad to say that I still continue to do this to my tube of toothpaste (except for the hairs!) I guess bad habits sometimes never die! So, a THANKS and possibly a SORRY must go out to my dear husband, Ryan for putting up with me and my "nasty" tube of toothpaste for all these years!! This just shows you how patient he really is!

7 comments:

Blake and Lara said...

Christy,
This post is so funny because I do this too.haha The only reason our tube is halfway decent is because Blake cleans it off and puts the cap back on.lol Anyway, yeah we sold our condo last Friday. We are feeling happy and sad about things. I am definitely going to miss awesome people like the Hodges here! I'm glad I'm blogging now too so we can stay updated on people. See ya cutie!

Cristi said...

This is so Alan and I. Before we got married I thought it was the weirdest thing that married people actually fought over squeezing toothpaste. But lo and behold, Alan wasn't happy my globs of messiness! Our solution-- he has his own tube and I have mine. :)Great story telling by the way!

Chelsie said...

Hahaha! Christy, you are seriously funny! I laughed out loud as I read this post. I will admit that growing up, our tube of toothpaste was as nasty as can be. It's good to know we aren't the only guilty ones though!

LeeAnn and Boys said...

What I'm really wondering about is if you two fight about which way to put the toilet paper on the roll. It's been topic of our marriage and fam relations class that sadly you miss being in primary. Cute blog--I can tell you are addicted with all your posts and background updates--I can only dream about such blogging frequency!

Andrea said...

Ewww...I don't know if we can still be blogger buddies after this revealing bit of information! Just kiddin'. This is the very reason my husband and I don't let our children touch our tube of toothpaste. I can't stand pulling my hand back, sticky, when reaching into my drawer for some minty-fresh mouth refreshment! Not to mention the state of all other articles in the drawer after such a catastrophe. Gross. That's why we have a separately designated tube of paste for the girls - the kind that is hard, upright-standing, and push-button released - that we leave on the counter top. Problem solved.

Christy said...

haha! Thanks Andrea! I was wondering by posting this info if I would loose some friends over it! I have to say though, that I did do pretty good about putting the cap on for almost a year-which about killed me, now it is back to a big clumpy mess! My husband thinks it is weird that a clean-freak such as myself has such a messy tube of toothpaste!? We all have some messes in our lives, right?

Just Only Me said...

You are such a creative blogger! You have the cutest posts, this is definitely one of my favorites, I was giggling the whole time.

We don't even share toothpaste anymore, I have sensitive teeth so I use Sensodyne and Ryan uses something whitening. Problem solved!