May 23, 2008

"No, I Too Busy..."

Lately when Ryan and I ask Madi to come here, or do something or put something away, Madi continues doing whatever she is doing, shakes her head slightly back and forth and says, very matter of factly, "No, I too Busy..." (like gee, can't you tell I am in the middle of something!) haha! Where in the world did she learn that?? ...then it hits me like a ton of bricks, Ryan and I realize we tell her that when we are in the middle of whatever it is we are doing! Duh! ...making dinner, cleaning, talking on the phone, computer games, or paying bills..."In a minute Madi, Mommy or Daddy is busy..."
The way Madi says this makes me chuckle to myself. Yet, I know I really need to be more aware of her and stop whatever it is that I am doing and make sure that she knows she is most important. And give her my complete attention. I am grateful for these "Aha" moments (or a ton of bricks moments) of learning and knowing what is is that we as parents need to be aware of and work on.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Yeah, kids are great at helping us see our faults. Why is it they only pick up on the things we shouldn't say, rather than all the nice, sweet things we say? I sure would love to hear one of my girls say, "Mom, you're tired. Go take a nap." or "Mom, thank you for being such a great helper!" (both are things I feel that I say often) But no. It's usually just, "You're driving my nuts!" or "I don't have time for this crap!" (both actual things they have said). Ah, well. EVERY word that comes out of my mouth can't be sugar-coated. If I were the perfect mom I wish I were I'd be translated, and then what would my kids do? So, it's actually a GOOD thing we mess up. :)

The Lorenc Family said...

Tommy has done that to us, too. It seems we actually learn more from our kids than they do from us! I am grateful also for these moments. And especially that they come from someone that I know loves me so much!