May 19, 2008

Famous Idaho Potato Marathon

While we were up in Boise this weekend, Joanna and I ran in a race. It was called the Famous Idaho Potato Marathon. We didn't sign up to run the marathon, just the 10K (which is 6.2 miles). Joanna is an amazing runner and has actually done a marathon here in Pocatello before. I don't consider myself a runner, I still am not sure if I even enjoy running really, but I do run from time to time...why? I have no idea!
I am proud to say that I ran the entire 6.2 miles without stopping!! I would have stopped running at around 4 miles and walked, but Joanna kept me going. Joanna was always a step ahead of me (well more like 20 sometimes) encouraging me to keep going! There were a few times she would run ahead of me as I had to slow down because my legs were going to give way from exhaustion. I seriously felt like dropping dead right there, but during those moments I would see her ahead going strong and found it in me somewhere to push myself. I would tell myself I came here to do this with her, so then I would literally sprint to catch up to her! I have never ran that much or that hard in my entire life! It was excruciating to say the least and well just down right painful! As I was running, I asked myself several times, "why do people put themselves through this kind of torture?" Two days later, I am still feeling the effects of the run...I am sore in places I didn't know existed...yet I am proud that I stuck through it and I have been finding myself thinking, well what's next? I did 6.2 miles, can I do a half marathon which is, 13 miles??
Joanna and I before the race started...us getting ready before the run. We had such a fun time and laughed so much! (some of our jokes...to the other runners and older lady that wasn't in the race, "You are doing good...you're almost there!" "Do you have a carport?" Ya!!...uhh no, No we don't." LOL.)
The starting point- the marathon started first, the half marathon started a half and hour later, then I believe our 10K started a half an hour after that. Some of the runners....before the race started


Joanna and I....we did it! We did 6.2 miles in an hour and EIGHT minutes, which is way good for me! I probably slowed Joanna down some, she could have done it faster, but stayed with me!
Thanks Jo!
These are the actually results from the Race...

224 / 126 / 30 1184 MORIN, Joanna CALDWELL ID 10k Run Wome... 1:08:04.54 1:09:10.18 +30:28.39 11:09.4
225 / 127 / 31 1118 HODGES, Christy BOISE ID 10k Run Wome... 1:08:04.64 1:09:10.24 +30:28.45 11:09.4

7 comments:

Andrea said...

I am so proud to say that I once scrap booked with you! I have profound admiration for anyone who runs without dying. I don't think I could run to my mailbox and back without passing out, and to be in any sort of marathon-type ordeal is beyond my comprehension. So, to sum up, way to go!

Christy said...

haha! Thanks Andrea! You are so nice! It was definitely hard! But you could do it! With all your working out lately, I bet it would be a piece of cake for you!

Just Only Me said...

Okay, I HAVE to say it...WAY TO GO, IDAHO! That's incredible you and Johanna got to do that! Great time you made too, so impressive. It's fun seeing pictures of familiar faces of the Morin clan too, they're such a sweet family. (we knew them from the ward when we lived in it too) Tell her hello.
Hope all is well at your house and hope you're recovering from your accomplishment...I would need a week. ha

Chelsie said...

Uuummm.... that's amazing! Good Job Christy, I am WAY impressed! 6.2 miles without stopping? I'm not sure I could go .62 miles without stopping. Great Job!

Cristi said...

Wow! You are impressive. I ran cross country in high school but those were only like 3 mile races. I really think I would have stopped to walk if I had been you! Way to go!

The Moore Family said...

What a fun trip! And I must say WAY TO GO CHRISTY!! You thought you were going to have to walk and you ran the whole 10K. You go girl! Now you need to go treat yourself to a massage!! (check out my blog about the massage thing) Later!

The Lorenc Family said...

I love it!!! You inspire me! You look fabulous to boot!