November 22, 2010

I am Martha Stewart's worse nightmare.

I made THIS for dinner tonight.

Looks edible enough, right? It's layered with chicken, broccoli and cheese, and some other tasty ingredients. Pretty normal ingredients for a casserole dish.

Well, it wasn't a hit. With me. The kids. Or the Mr.

In fact, it was so bad Madi made the comment, "It looks like it's something that should go in the garbage."

Followed two minutes later by Avery vomiting it back up onto her plate.

Nice.

Yeah. It WAS that bad.

Even the hubby who walked in the door five minutes after the vomiting occured said, "Something smells a little off in here."

I have never claimed to be a good cook. Out of 6.8 billion people on the earth, I rank down there with the worse of them. I am not being negative. I am just stating the facts. There's a difference.

And the fact is, I will probably never hear or see the words,  "Best Cook..." for anything. I will probably never win a blue ribbon for homemade jam or bread. And I will probably never be featured or have a recipe shared in a recipe book anywhere.

Sad. I know. You are probably feeling really sorry for me now, aren't you? (heavy sarcasm)

I totally accept that cooking is not one of my gifts. I know you can become good at alomst anything if you practice enough and work hard, so I am trying to do just that. But some things, no matter how much you practice or work at it, you still never become great at it. Maybe better over time, yes, but never great or outstanding.

However much I stink at cooking, I find myself really enjoying the time I do get when I cook and prepare food...(when that doesn't involve kids crying, whining, telling me they are hungry a ba-zillion and one times while I am trying to prepare it, or having to wipe their noses and/or bums another ba-zillion times(don't worry I wash my hands, which is another frustrating thing, always having to wash my hands because of the snot and poo (yes, I just said, "poo".))).

I have made a few dishes/desserts that I find absolutely divine. Recipes that my family gobbles up as soon as it's done. For one thing, I think I can scramble up some pretty tasty scrambled eggs. And I love my chocolate chip oatmeal cookies! Oh, they are Heaven.

So even though this casserole failed beyond even my wildest imagination...(because I don't imagine vomiting when I imagine my cooking) I will keep trying to cook and become better not only for my family but for those poor individuals who get invited over for dinner. God Bless their hearts... and their taste buds.

6 comments:

Andrea said...

Christy, you're silly. All it takes to be a good cook is good recipes. Well, that, and a little love (as my husband says). I'm sure you're just as good a cook as the next girl.

Cristi said...

Cooking is not one of my gifts either. Alan is so creative in the kitchen and enjoys making up new things and trying different spices, etc. I really can't do that. It doesn't come naturally to me AT ALL. So I feel your pain. But I decided as long as I'm giving them enough fruits and veggies, and grains and protein, even if it's the simplest meal, then I'm still doing ok. You can do it!

Rachel Schanz said...

I love readIng your posts :) and I'm right there with ya'!

Joanna said...

You are so funny! I totally imagined everything as you were telling how it happened and I couldn't help but laugh. Miss you guys!

RORYJEAN said...

I'm so glad I am not the only one :) I had people over for dinner the other night, and their son said "Mom, do I have to eat this? It's gross." Haha. Oh well- at least I'm not a picky eater- I'll eat my cooking even if no one else will!

Tammy said...

How funny. I think we have all had a dish or two that turned out bad. I loved your description of the whole affair, it was hilarious. I'm sure that you will laugh at it more in a few years.

I remember a few meals that turned into rather interesting comments by my family. When I baked my first loaf of homemade bread (in the mid 70's) my Grandfather weighed it in his hand and commented that he needed a new anchor for his boat! Ugh!

Christy, I have eaten many great meals at you home and know that you can and do make very good meals. My mouth still waters when I think of your Bagel/Roast Beef sandwich. Bob and I were talking about it the other day and drooling. I had made a sandwich that didn't taste how I thought it would and so we were reminiscing about our favorite sandwiches and yours was on the top of the list. When I make it it doesn't taste as good as when you make it!