September 5, 2010

26.2 MILES

I finished!!! I was proud that I ran 24 miles straight without stopping except to chug down some much needed gatorade from time to time. As the end got closer and closer my whole body just ached but I still had enough energy to keep going. However around mile 24 I thought maybe I wouldn't finish. I was so close yet felt SOOO far away! I "hit my wall" as they say, at about mile 24 and my legs no longer wanted to move let alone continue running. I tried desperately to pick them up and take a step forward but it's as if they each weighed 500 pounds! I just stood there and it took all I could to muster up the strength from somewhere deep. I kept telling myself, "move!" It hurt just to walk so I stood there for awhile and I wanted so bad to just lay down and die! I even asked a lady as I passed by her house if she by chance had a coffin laying around that I could just lie down in. Apparently she thought I was joking because she laughed at me. Umm...no really, I am being serious. 

Finally, I did start running again and as soon as I did I heard my name being yelled from a vehicle close by. It was a good friend of mine from high school, Cara Johns Reid. She had a yellow rose for me! It was just what I needed at that moment to finish the race. My goal was to finish under 5 hours, but I didn't make it. I finished in 5 hours 5 minutes. So close...if it wasn't for that meltdown! Gosh! :)

Someone asked me during the race how many marathons have I ran??...Umm, ONE. I told them this was my first and last one. They then proceeded to tell me I would do more in the future because they are, "like sooo" addicting! We will see about that, right now my body is telling me never to use my legs again. In fact, I think I might just go and get myself a wheelchair for the next few... I don't know, years! ;)


 Emily and I. She did amazing! She finished in 4 hours 52 minutes. Good job Emily! My husband and kids got me balloons and I thought it was so  cute the ones they choose for me. Madi picked out a dinosaur balloon and Avery of course got me a Cinderella balloon. My parents and brother Adam surprised me at the end as well to cheer me on and watch me as I crossed the finish line. That meant so much to me and got me all choked up. Gosh! Thanks a lot. hehe. I love my family!

8 comments:

Cristi said...

I so wish I could have been there to cheer you on at the finish line!

Lis said...

You are wonder woman! I can't believe you ran a marathon after having kids. I can't even sneeze without peeing my pants! Congrats!

Rachel Schanz said...

So Awesome!!! You are amazing!!

Genny said...

you ROCK!

Leanne said...

AMAZING GIRL! What an inspiration!

Cami said...

Oh My Goodness! Christy! I am sooo proud of you! One of my goals in life is to run a marathon. I am not finding the exercize time right now, but maybe I just need a little more discipline. I feel more motivation after reading your post. Can you walk now? Way to go Christy! I would have loved to be there to cheer you on!

Joanna said...

You did soooooo awesome! It makes me motivated to run again. I can't believe you did the whole thing without stopping! You're amazing. Love ya tons!

RORYJEAN said...

I read this a while back but got distracted before I could comment- but I wanted to say that you are amazing! training and running a marathon takes a certain kind of determination and self-discipline that most people (myself included) don't have. You're truly inspiring!