June 3, 2010

A few of my favorite foods...

For breakfast or for a snack, I sometimes have a cup of low-fat cottage cheese with fresh blueberries, strawberries and peaches. SOOOO good! You are drooling at the mouth, aren't you?



I love love LOVE a good salad. In my opinion there is nothing better than that. It makes you feel good, it tastes good and it's good for you. I eat a salad almost everyday whether that be for lunch or dinner. Most of the time this is what I make for lunch:

Love at first sight, right??

I buy a big bag of grilled chicken strips at Costco that usually lasts me almost a month. Before I prepare my fresh salad and cut everything up I grill up about 3 ounces of chicken strips.

With the chicken grilling, I add my lettuce, cut up red peppers(sometimes orange), broccoli, sliced red onions, cucumbers, tomatoes, sometimes an avocado, and sometimes dried blueberries or a few dried cranberries. And then I top it with a sprinkle of sunflower seeds. For dressing I add about 2 tablespoons of poppy seed dressing. I have tried about 5 poppy seed dressings, because I wanted to find one that was low in calories yet not disgusting to MY taste buds.

This dressing was definitely my favorite as far as flavor goes, but

LiteHouse makes a pretty good poppy seed dressing that is half the fat and calories and tastes similar to the Brianna's brand.


Now obviously you can add whatever you want to YOUR salad. I just wanted to share my specialty salad with you. My husband loves it and even my girls love it. I like to see them eating healthy foods along with me.



What is your favorite snack or salad?

8 comments:

Alex and Kimberly Rasmussen said...

Yum that looks so good!!! I will have to try that!!!

amy jane carpenter said...

you are so good! I really dislike making lunch for myself. It can seem like such a chore on top of all the other cooking I do. But maybe I'll have to try this out and change my attitude. :)

Andrea said...

I have really good recipe for poppyseed dressing, if you want it. It HAS to be better for you if it's home made, right?

And now my stomach is growling.

Cristi said...

i love brianna's! my favorite healthy snacks are pretty similar to yours-- nice big salad or fruit with yogurt. I also eat almonds a lot.

Andrea said...

I'm going to the store right now to buy the ingredients for this salad - looking forward to lunch today, for sure!

I'll have to give you my recipe for festive tossed salad - it's kind of similar to this, but it has apples, pears, cranberries, and cashews, and parmesan cheese in it (okay, so the only similarity is the poppyseed dressing). And you put the homemade dressing I was telling you about (in my previous comment) on it. It is divine.

Morgan said...

i hate salads unless its fruit.
i am glad you are having fun running. so am i.
i cant believe your vacuum dies..its less than 2 years old! you didnt have a warranty on it? and you couldnt fix it-rip off! we got ours for our wedding from walmart and its lasted 5 years! hope your new one lasts a while!

Tammy said...

That salad looks yummy! My new favorite thing is green smoothies and homemade whole wheat bread. I've been trying to follow the 12-month regime at greensmoothiegirl.com and am seeing a lot of good results. 25 lbs. lost so far. Yah...whoo hooo! Picture me doing the happy dance...OK maybe that isn't a good thing to picture.

RORYJEAN said...

Yum- I lovesalad- I usually make this salad for lunch: http://www.theamazingavocado.com/recipes/recipes-from-cheryl/

I usually just buy the pre-cooked salad shrimp and I don't add the bacon, I add slivered almonds and black beans instead. It's yummy! I'll have to try your salad, too!