September 18, 2009

Hospital Stay

We had a little bit of a scare the other night.... Not two hours after posting that last post, about Emily, Emily was having a hard time breathing and we thought her air way was constricted. Since my husband is in the Physician Assistant Program and doing his rotations right now, he noticed that Emily had something called, Stridor. We called our neighbors and they came over to watch our kids and help give Emily a priesthood blessing. Then we went to the doctor's office and did some chest x-rays on her and they emitted her into the hospital for the night to monitor her. Emily was given some steroids to help with the inflammation of her trachea tube and they did some respiratory treatments with her. I stayed with her overnight and after the treatments, I noticed a HUGE difference right away in her breathing! She was released from the hospital yesterday morning and is doing a lot better and is completely off her oxygen!

So Emily gave us a little bit of a scare but she is doing fine now. Now that Madi is in preschool we think she brought some sort of virus home and Emily caught it. I thought we were being pretty cautious about keeping Emily away as much as possible and washing our hands a lot, but I guess we need to be even more cautious! Yet, I know that even if we are extremely cautious sometimes Emily will catch whatever it is anyway. It's scary how one moment everything is going fine and the next it's not. Makes me so grateful that Ryan is practicing medicine and caught it in time before it could have completely closed her airway. And that he was and is worthy to give a priesthood blessing to anyone who needs it, especially our kids. I am so grateful for the gospel!


My dad, Jared with Emily. She is still on her oxygen.
Emily off her oxygen
I know they say not to put babies on their stomach, but all my girls have always preferred their stomach to their backs. So when I can watch Emily sleep I will sometimes let her lay on her stomach. These pictures were all taken the same day, Emily fell asleep on the floor, Madi on the couch and Avery in her bed.



8 comments:

Unknown said...

So scary! Thank goodness Ryan has an eye for medical stuff. Glad Emily is doing better and that she's off her oxygen!
I have another friend whose baby was born 7 weeks early and their oldest is in school (1st grade maybe). Anyway she told me that as soon as he gets home from school they have him take everything off and take a bath (maybe be a little extreme, but ya never know) and close anything having to do with school in a different room. So far so good, but like you said, the baby could still catch anything, even if you try your hardest.
I love the pictures of your girls sleeping. So cute that they all love their tummies. Saylee is a tummy sleeper. Oh and I just noticed Avery was reading a book. Haha so cute!!

amy jane carpenter said...

She's an adorable little baby. Glad everything was ok and she's doing well again. It's always scary when babies get sick, but i can't imagine how scary that probably was for you guys. :)

Alex and Kimberly Rasmussen said...

LOL those sleeping picture made me giggle-gald to hear Emily is alright! SHe sure its a littel fighter :)

Dave and Melissa Geddes said...

So thankful Emily is alright! What a scary experience. I too am so thankful for the priesthood and good husbands! All your little girls are so precious and adorable. Back sleeping is way over-rated!

Leslie said...

Ohhh scary. So glad she is doing better and that you guys caught it so early & knew what was happening. Cute girls. I loved the post about "give a 2 year old..."

Cristi said...

nice work ryan. you are a stud! :)

Skye said...

How scary! I'm so glad you guys caught it early and that Ryan has alot of medical experience. Way to to go Ryan!!! And I definately have to agree that having a worthy priesthood holder as a husband works wonders :) Your girls are so cute, I love the sleeping pics!

Joanna said...

Oh my goodness! I had no idea you guys had gone through that. That must've been pretty scary for you two. It's never a fun thing to take your child to the hospital. I'm so glad that Ryan caught that! What a blessing.