May 26, 2009

Update on Emily

-Emily is now up to 2 pounds!!
-She is getting 15 ml. of milk every three hours
-She is no longer on any IV's or pick lines, which is great as it will decrease a risk of infections.
-She is only needing about 30% oxygen most of the time from her ventilator.
-She is cute, fiesty and is already showing that she has a BIG personality! (uh oh! Better watch out! Just kidding.)
-Some concerning news is that Emily had a head ultrasound a week ago and it shows a level 2 brain bleed on the right side. There's nothing to do except wait and pray that she will have no long term effects from it and that it will get absorbed and won't increase. We will know more in about two weeks when they do another head ultrasound. Also the nurse practioner informed us that on the left side of her head, the ultrasound showed that there might be slight chance she might have PVL- Periventricular Leukomalacia. PVL is caused by insufficient blood flow to parts of an infants brain before birth, at delivery, or after birth.
If you would like to know more about PVL here is one website that talks about it:
http://www.cpparent.org/pvl/babyzone.htm

Even though Emily might have a slight chance of having this, Ryan and I are still optomistic about her doing so well thus far and are not too concerned about it. We just feel that everything will be alright. Yes, we have our moments of worry, and sadness to see our little baby girl going through so much, but we also feel so blessed to have her and Ethan join our family. I am grateful that Ethan is sealed to us and we will be able to see him again someday. We are also so grateful for the progress Emily is making.

Ryan and I went down to Salt Lake to be with Emily this weekend and while we were down there we got to hold her for the very first time! (Saturday, May 23rd). Our friends Skye and Jordan have a little boy named, Asher, who was also born very early two years ago, May 23rd actually! She told me she got to hold Asher for the first time about a month after he was born. I was kind of hesitant at first to ask; one being I didn't want to expose her too much to the outside air or maybe give her something accidently. (You just never know!) And two, I was just nervous to ask, thinking the nurses might think I am crazy! Which is probably partly true. ;)Our beautiful baby girl!

I am really not sure who Emily looks like...?
I loved her matching hair bow and blanket.
Ryan holding Emily for the first time.

Emily had her eyes open for a short time and it was so cute to see her eyes looking up at me. I don't know how much she can see if she can really see anything at all, but it was great holding her and looking into her face for the first time.



23 comments:

Skye said...

YEAH!!! I'm so glad you got to hold her. I remember the first time I held Asher, it was amazing. There is nothing better than holding a newborn child...even if it's a month later :) Looking at the pictures of you guys holding Emily, especially the one of your two together, I couldn't help but see the pure joy and happiness in your faces :) I'm so glad she is doing awesome. She looks so good. She looks a lot like your other girls...so adorable! I hope things continue to go well for her and some of the problems will resolve on their own.

Blake and Lara said...

She looks so great Christy! The picture of her looking at you is so precious! Glad to see things are going well for the most part! The promptings you and Ryan have about her progress are so important. I think sometimes no matter what medicine tells us the things we feel in our hearts from the spirit come to pass!

Shantaila said...

I'm so glad that she is doing soo great! She is a beutiful little girl! I would have to agree about the matching bow and blanket, everything always has to match!

Alex and Kimberly Rasmussen said...

YAA!! Glad to hear you got to hold her how precious!! Avery is so silly and little madi looks like she is getting quite the personality lol-love you guys good luck with everything

ANDY, JEN & KIDDIES said...

I am so glad that is growing and getting stronger. I hope everything ends up being just fine with her and that the bleeding and PVL ends up being nothing. She is so adorable. I am still amazed at how little and precious she is.

Andrea said...

How exciting! I'm so happy you got to hold her finally.

*Sheigh* said...

That is soo exciting that you got to hold her!! YAY! And YAY for her gaining weight and dropping the oxygen levels! That is soo awesome! YAY EMILY!!! And I think she looks like Avery! :) Which we all know who she looks like:)

Christie said...

Hooray for Emily! So glad she is doing so great. You guys look so happy :) Was Avery wearing Mr. Potato head glasses? My kids liked to "try" that stuff on too...so cute! Hope your having a better week Christy!

Rachel Schanz said...

WooHoo!! We are so happy that things are going well, your girls are so cute, thanks for the fun night last night :)

Chelsie said...

Go Emily GO!! She is precious! That's awesome that you got to hold her and your pictures are darling! We'll continue to pray for her! :)

Pattie D said...

She is just about as sweet and precious as she can be! Hope all goes well, hang on to the postive peaceful feelings! I think she looks like Madi, but as she puts on more weight we may pass another judgement. Love you guys, you are in our prayers
hugs
MOMC

Unknown said...

She is such a cutie. I love the purple with her dark hair. I can't believe how much hair she has. That is exciting you get to hold her. I'm glad things are going good.

I would love to meet your family too. I feel like I know you already.. just by your blog. We need to plan a meeting some time. We live on the right side of the freeway if you are going south (or the west, I was never very good with cordinations) We live less then a mile from McDonalds and Wendy's right before the interchange.(by the hospital exit) If ya ever need to stop your always welcome.


Don't worry about the last time you talked to Patrick, we completely understand. We just wish we could do more to help. Take care and let us know if we can help with anything.

RORYJEAN said...

Wow, she is such a fighter! Go Emily! I'm so glad that she is hanging in there, gaining weight, and drinking her milk. I'm praying that the next head ultrasound shows good news. She is so sweet- and look at all of that hair!

Leanne said...

She is beautiful! You guys look so happy holding her for the first time! What an exciting moment!

Cristi said...

that is so precious!!! love you!

Joanna said...

That's so exciting! I'm so glad that you guys got to hold her and bond with her and that she's doing so well and growing so fast. She's a good eater! I love it. Miss you guys too - talk to you soon.

Unknown said...

Emily definitely looks like Madi, to me anyway. She's adorable. I'm so proud of her, for being so strong and doing so well. Two pounds! Wow! That's awesome, still so crazy to imagine, but great! That's awesome you guys were able to hold her; I bet that just made everything better. What a sweetie!

The Suttons said...

I see Madi when I look at her picture too! She is so pretty! Yay for being 2 punds-that is great she is gaining weight. Love you-let me know if you need anything!!

Genny said...

Wow, for some reason your blog hasn't been updating on my blog. A LOT HAS HAPPENED! I just want you to know that although i have never met you, you have been so kind as to write your comments on our blog--I just love it. I can't wait to meet you. Please know that your family is in our prayers!

Genny

The Moore Family said...

So, I'm a little behind on checking blogs, but I was so excited to check yours and see the updates!!! I'm glad Emily is doing well!! In one picture I think she looks like Madi....like her head shape. She is just so precious. I'm so glad you guys got to hold her.
And one of these summer days we HAVE to BBQ!!!! Talk to ya later!

Just Only Me said...

Yay! Way to pack it on, Emily! She's so adorable. Glad things are looking up.

Leslie said...

wonderful news - what a precious little family!

Ashlie said...

Look at all that hair! Emily looks great. I'm so glad she's doing well.

Anyways, video posting from You Tube: (Sorry it took so long!) There's a link under the videos that says "embed." Just copy that link, and paste it into the body of your post! It's that simple. You can look the video up on You Tube, or just double click on my post to get to the You Tube link. Hope that helps! :)