May 1, 2009

Personal thoughts and Some Good News!

Yesterday was a really hard, emotional day for me. I actually thought I was doing ok, until Ryan came home for lunch and saw that the dounuts I had bought the night before were completely gone. He said, "Where did all those dounuts go?" I had bought a big package of mini chocolate dounuts, which I never do...and I had ate the entire package, not even realizing it!! Of course, I tried blaming it on Avery, Madi and even the dog across the street, but Ryan knew it was all me. Dang it! :0 I usually don't take my stress out on food, but since I can't go running to relieve it, due to my C-section, I guess I turned to eating! And boy, did I EAT yesterday! Ryan even said later that night, "I thought you went grocery shopping?" haha! Now that I have realized I ate all day yesterday, I was more aware of that today and stayed away from the dounuts. (That doesn't mean, I didn't have any cookies! ;))

Ryan and I feel like we have been tossed in a tornado, and the moment we feel like we are coming out of it, we are being thrown into another one. There's many questions that Ryan and I have about what went wrong and what happened. As Ryan and I were driving to Utah on Wednesday, to be with Emily and Ethan, we talked a lot about these things. But in the end we both came to realize that it wasn't doing any good to dwell on things we can't change. We know everything happens for a reason. We don't know why, or what the purpose is, and maybe we will never know what or why our babies came so early, but we both feel a lot of peace that everything will be ok. Whether that is having the priviledge to raise both Emily and Ethan here on the earth or after this life, we are not sure.

Many of you have been wondering how Emily's surgery went. Well I am very happy to report it went very well and she is doing really good. We feel very blessed that it went so well and that her blood pressure seemed to immediately improve afterwards and it is back where it needs to be. The nurses have said they might even move Emily into the next room, room 2, where the more "stable" babies go. In room 2 they usually have one nurse to watch over 1-2 babies at a time. Ethan, however, will continue to stay in room 1 where he will be monitored more closely, as he is in a more critical state than Emily. This is good news for our Emily, but it also makes me sad, as I feel that having Ethan and Emily so close to one another makes me think they are fighting this battle together and helping each other through it.

They both still have severe lung disease, but we actually just got a phone call from the hospital a few hours ago and they said that Ethan's lungs have begun to improve already! His x-rays show an improvement of his lung tissues and they were able to decrease the speed of the oxygen levels going into his lungs, which means they are not having to pump oxygen into his lungs as hard. Which is great news, as it will be less pressure on his lung tissues. It's a small change, but anything positive is always SOOO good to hear! Getting news like this makes me feel so grateful, yet at the same time it is also hard because I feel weak at times and wish I had more faith. Many of you have commented that we are strong, but to be honest, I feel completely weak sometimes and I need to learn to have more faith in our Heavenly Father and his plan for our family. For the most part I feel pretty positive and peaceful, but when you hear such bad news from the doctors it really makes you question what went wrong. Yet, I know Heavenly Father knows what is best for our children and our family and I trust Him.
Ryan gave both Emily and Ethan a blessing on Wednesday. And in the blessing to Ethan, Ryan felt impressed to say some things that gave Ryan and I such peace. Yet, the next day, I was begining to question and doubt... Then when we get the good news like this today, I think to myself, "Why do I doubt so fast? Why can't I have more faith?" Although today, I feel a lot better and have felt that same peace I did on Wednesday.

I rarely write such personal things from my heart, but I felt impressed to share what I have been feeling lately. Ryan and I both feel very blessed and so grateful for all of your support. It is hard to express in words how grateful we are to each of you and for the many prayers, fasts, gifts, service, and donations we have received in behalf of our family.


Here are a few pictures we took on Wednesday...


Our little Boy!

Emily right before the sugery.

Emily with Ryan after the surgery


Emily and me after the surgery

Ryan and Ethan
Me and Ethan


22 comments:

Hawkins Family said...

Christy I can't even begin to imagine what you are going through! You are all in our prayers. I didn't check your blog for a few weeks and I got on today and couldn't believe what all you've been through. Please let me know if there is anything I can do. We are just a 30 minute drive from Salt Lake! Seriously let me know if there is ANYTHING! Are you in SLC now or Pocatello? I guess I should just call you. You're in our prayers!

Morgan said...

I can't help but feel, like I always do, overly optimistic for you and your babies. How sweet they are, and as always, in our prayers. But I can't blame you for feeling a little weakened at times; you guys have lots on your hands. Let us know if you need something...like more doughnuts. :) Or Ryan, if you need some of your own doughnuts. :) It's hard to not feel doubt and fear, I'm sure. Thanks heavens for the knowledge we have of life and eternity and love! Thanks for blogging and letting us all know how things are going. Hope to see you before we take off!
All our love,
Jeremy and Morgan

*Sheigh* said...

Christy, You are a strong woman and I know that you have enough faith in heavenly father. Its a very hard thing to be going through so you do question things that goes on. It doesnt make you have faith any less. Heavenly Father knows what you can handle and what you cant and he loves you and is watching over you and your family always. I am sooo happy to hear that the surgery went well with Emily and that he blood pressure is where it needs to be. I am also happy to hear that Ethan's lungs are progressing! That is a good sign. You are an amazing woman and I believe that you are strong and have ALOT of faith. I wish I had faith like you! In my prayers and thoughts always! If you need anything please let me know k! Love you!

Ben and Terah said...

Stay Stong! You are in our thoughts and prayers!

Leslie said...

My baby woke up... he' sleeping agin now - but I just popped on to check your blog... It's been awhile. I had no idea Christy, you had your precious babies early. You and your family will absolutely be in our prayers. I wish there was a way for you to feel my love and concern.

Man, I think you had every right to eat those donuts and cookies. I hope you can find peace inside - a little prayer... a little cookie.... a little scripture... a little donut... or a lot of all the above!

Love Les

Alex and Kimberly Rasmussen said...

Glad to hear the surgery went well! I think emily looks alot like madi ;) Love you guys

Unknown said...

Glad to hear that Emily's surgery went well. What a little trooper. That's good that she's possibly moving to another room, but like you said, sad that they can't be together and strengthen each other. Hopefully Ethan will be moving to the next room soon. You guys look great, so happy. I know you are probably so exhausted though! I am a stress eater too...it doesn't help you feel better for long though! I hope you are recovering well. Please let me know what I can do to help you guys. Dinner? talking? Let me know, please!!
Lots of love!

RORYJEAN said...

I'm so glad surgery went well and that Emily is getting strong enough to change rooms. You are very strong- I'm amazed that you can be so candid and find hope despite what you are going through. Don't beat yourself up about having moments of weakness- what you are facing is hard for me to even imagine- my greatest fear is having a severely sick child or losing a child- your strength is inspiring. I would have eaten more than just one box of doughnuts if I were in your shoes!

Rachel Schanz said...

Thank you so much for your thoughts, I think this kind of experience builds such an amazing kind of faith in the our gospel and in our families, we love you guys!

Skye said...

Oh Christy, my heart is with you. Reading your thoughts is like going back in time 2 years and reading my own. Just keep holding onto those feeling of peace and comfort and I promise you that you can make it through this trial. I'm heading to Salt Lake Sunday night, because Asher has a 2 year check up the next day. I would love to come see you if you are there. I know we hardly know each other, but I feel as if we have been friends forever :)I will give you a call today or tomorrow if thats okay? Take care.

P.S.--Your little angels are so adorable!

Joanna said...

I was so relieved to hear that Emily's surgery went well and that Ethan's lungs are doing better. These two little ones are having so many prayers sent above in their behalf. And they both seem like such strong fighters. I just have so much hope for you guys and Ethan and Emily. Keep your chin up and take each day one at a time. Know you are loved and watched over and can turn to your Heavenly Father for strength. We love you guys and will keep praying.

Andrea said...

So glad for good news! You ARE strong, Christy. You can't be anything but strong to have made it thus far with only a box of donuts to regret. But everyone understands (in some small way) how hard it is, and wants to help. So let them! Don't feel bad for feeling weak.

It is so hard not to think about the "why" and the "what if," and I salute you (once again, huge dork here) for deciding to put that behind you and deal with the "what now." You are awesome.

I want to help somehow. But how? I need your help here (remember how helpful I was when you were pregnant...?).

Skye said...

I tried calling, but the only number I have is you home phone :) I sent an email to your hotmail account with some information. Take care and hopefully I hear from you soon :)

Cristi said...

I am the same way as far as feeling peace about something and then doubting when a bump in the road comes right after I felt the peace. I think it's something we all face but I'm sure you're getting stronger in ways you can't measure because they are subtle. Love you guys!

Tammy said...

Christy, none of us can know what you are going through but please be gentle with yourself. This emotional roller-coaster ride is so difficult that you wouldn't be human if it didn't affect you with each new piece of news.

You and Ryan are doing the right thing by relying on the Spirit and each other. There is no recipe for getting through these difficult times but at least you know that Heavenly Father knows best and that we are all here for you and love you so much. As always our prayers are with you all. I'm very proud of you and my son, Ryan and am always here whenever you need anything.

Pattie D said...

So glad to hear of the twins progression, prayers that that will continue! They are truly precious little miracles. I love the pictures, I think Ethan looks like Ryan's brother, is that Nathan?
I think I would be eating alot more than donuts....Just take care of yourself and get some rest. You two are amazing!
Love you
MOMC

Just Only Me said...

Thanks for your update, the babies look great! Glad to hear the tiny positive good news. Thank goodness today is Fast Sunday, you'll be in our hearts and prayers!

Haley said...

I've been thinking about you today... I just wanted to tell you that I know it's difficult to feel, to be strong amidst difficult trials. Well, I believe that it's okay not to be strong. It's okay to turn to moosh sometimes. To turn your weakness, your fears, and your doubts over to the Lord and have faith that He will make them strengths, He will be your stength. I know that this is something He longs to do for you. You and Ryan are both valiant children of our Heavenly Father and He will bless you, no matter what happens. I sure love you guys.

Jeff and Laura said...

I am so glad the surgery went well. I can't even remotely imagine what you must be feeling and going through right now...I wish I could do anything to help you and your family. We will continue to pray for you.

Blake and Lara said...

I'm glad things are looking a little better with your sweet babies. Your family is still in our prayers! We would love to see you guys when we come back to Poky!! Under the circumstances we understand if its just not possible for a while! We hope things continue to be positive and hopeful for your babies!! You guys are amazing!

Christie said...

Christy, you and Ryan are amazing. Thank you for sharing your little family with us. Ethan and Emily are just precious. Sammy was looking at their pictures with me and we measured my wedding band on his fingers and we figured out that Emily's arm is probably only about as big as his pinky. He was just in awe at how tiny they are. It's hard to imagine.
As you say everything happens for a reason. As hard as it might be. We just have to "trust in the Lord with all thine heart". I think that everyone is learning and growing from your experience. So again thanks for sharing with us. We LOVE you!

Cami said...

Christy! I have been thinking about you so much lately. You are in my prayers! I know that you can get through this. I would love to see you while you are in Salt Lake. Is that possible? Love ya Christy!