April 22, 2009

Twin Update



Each day Ryan and I learn something new about the care our twins are getting. "A new language" almost, as my mother-in-law put it. From new treatments, case studies they are doing, and deciding whether or not we want our babies in them. Learning about the different machines they are hooked up to and what they do for the twins, or tests they have had. There are heart and lung problems, blood transfusions, new drugs, case studies, etc. There's just a lot of things I am trying to understand, most of the time I feel totally incompetent as I don't understand "doctor" language and it goes right over my head! I've been trying to understand the best I can what it is Emily and Ethan are going through. It's a little clearer to Ryan just because he is in the Physicain Assistant Program and is already learning a lot of this medical lingo. I write all this to let all you know that I sometimes don't know exactly myself what they are doing with the twins. I have a basic understanding of what they are going through or the treatments they are getting, but overall I don't or can't fully grasps the studies or things that are happening to them but I do know they are in good hands and that they are fighters!
So from now on, I'll just tell you in layman's terms... they are stable and doing pretty good!

Ryan's mom, Tammy, who is staying with me, wrote on her blog a little about this and I thought I would just quote her, "One of the blessings of being in a University Hospital is that they(nurses and doctors) have learned so much that can benefit your children. One of the downfalls is that they also want to study your children. I guess you can't have one without the other. When I was here 30 years ago they did the same thing only it was me and my pregnancy they wanted to study. Knowledge can't be gained without observing."


Now for some PICTURES!!!


Emily with Daddy Emily and my hand touching her head, gives you an idea of how small her head is.
Emily on her tummy...the nurse says she prefers her tummy. ;)



Grandma, me and Ethan ...whispering, "Go Ethan!"

Little Ethan...he likes his shades! ;)

Emily has several different machines hooked up to her incubator.
Ethan's little hand

Ethan

Ryan and I are SO grateful for the nurses here at the University of Utah, that take such good care of Ethan and Emily. They are so good with these tiny infants and are so sweet to us and so good with our babies. We feel very blessed to have such great friends and family, that have been so supportive and helpful through all of this. It would be hard to go through this without the gospel and all of your love and prayers!

18 comments:

Morgan said...

For reals, NICU nurses are the best people on the earth. They couldn't be in a better place!
Did you get those willow tree figurines? I WANT THEM! I have tried to find twin ones, and haven't. Did they come as a set?
Anyway, the pictures tug at my heartstrings.
Stay strong friend!
Thinking of you
Morgan

Unknown said...

How adorable. They are such sweet angels. What precious spirits. It is great to hear they are doing good. Your family is always in my thoughts.... GO HODGES GO!!!

RORYJEAN said...

They are so amazing- and so tiny! Wow! I am so glad that they have access to such great medical care. I hope they keep fighting- it's amazing to think the baby I am carrying is only a few weeks younger- I can't imagine having her anytime soon, but it is so incredible to see how resiliant little babies can be! we pray for you and yours each night. Love ya!

Andrea said...

I'm so glad to hear that they are doing well! I know what you mean about all the medical lingo. I wish they would just speak English when they talk to us "normal" folk. I know they are capable of making it understandable if they really try. Hope you catch on quickly, or figure out how to make them explain it better at least. Thanks so much for the update. I worry about you all.

Nicole Leavitt said...

Im so glad you posted an update! Im glad they are fighting so hard! Take care of yourself as well!

Just Only Me said...

You rock. Seriously thinking of you and praying for you constantly. Thanks for the updates, we want constant updates. Loving you from Northern Idaho.

The Suttons said...

They are so sweet Christy!! They have to be fighters to belong in the Hodge's family!! You are amazing and I love you and we continue to think of you and pray for you!!

Cristi said...

I started tearing up about the part where you whispered "go ethan!" We are saying go ethan and emily over here, too! ryan looks so natural in his scrubs!

Alex and Kimberly Rasmussen said...

Thanks for the update-what tiny little fingers! Glad to hear they are in good hands. Good Luck and keep us posted love ya kimberly

Unknown said...

The babies look so great, so tiny! It still just blows my mind how very little they are. What's this about your wedding ring around Emily's wrist? Holy cow! I love how you said Emily likes her tummy best, what a sweetie. And Ethan and his shades, too cool. Man these babies are so small, but have big personalities, I'm sure. I tear up every time I think about you and these babies. What amazing little angels they are, knowing what they would have to go through before they came down to earth. I hope to be able to meet them soon. Love ya.

*Sheigh* said...

They are strong ,they are Hodges!! NICU families are great with babies. I love that they treat them as if they were their own! Just talk to your little ones...they can hear you and it makes them stronger! Love you and are thinking of you and praying for you!

ANDY, JEN & KIDDIES said...

I'm glad they are doing good! It is amazing the technology that is out there. I'm sorry the doctors are talking way above your head! I hate that too! Take care and We will still be praying for you and your cute babies.

Blake and Lara said...

Glad to see those beautiful little babies getting stronger!! What sweet little blessings!

Shantaila said...

You are so strong! Keep going! We are praying for all of you.

The Moore Family said...

Thanks for the update! It was great to see you for a few minutes this weekend. Hope you guys enjoyed yourself (besides locking yourself out of the house...) and made it back to SL safe. And thanks again for letting me borrow the cute dress!!
It looks like your sweet Emily and Ethan are in great hands!! What fighters they are! (which I'm not surprised because I know how competitive their mommy is! haha) Stay strong and we are praying for you!

Joanna said...

Wow! I can't believe how tiny they are. They are so special. It's amazing to see what a miracle babies are and especially what a miracle these two are. We love and pray for you guys every day! Keep going!

LeeAnn and Boys said...

Christy! I'm going to short out my computer with all these wet tears running onto my keyboard. I love the picture of you looking in on Ethan. I can see the power of a mother's prayers. I can also see the power that two little babies have on our hearts. Can't help but love love love them!
Thinking of you all a lot!

The Lorenc Family said...

I am so glad to finally come and visit again! They are so adorable! I am so glad to see that the nurses even know what each of your children likes and that they are in good hands! Ryan looks really good, he's a natural! And you are still as pretty as ever! We are keeping you guys in our prayers, and we are rooting for Emily and Ethan, too! What little blessings they are to us all!