April 27, 2009

Another Crazy Day...



It has been two...almost, LONG weeks, as you know at the Hodges home! Today the twins are 9 days old and are stable at this time. I am so grateful for their little spirits and the time I have had with them so far, holding their hands in mine and softly touching their heads. They are fighting hard everday to be here. It has been a roller coaster ride, with so many ups and downs. I have had moments of strength where I know it hasn't come anywhere but our Heavenly Father and all your prayers for our family. And I have had moments of weakness where I just sit and cry my heart out and feel completely useless as my babies struggle every moment to stay alive and miss my other two girls like crazy! Makes me really appreciate the time I do get with them when I see them. :)
Today has been another crazy day, and I thought I would give a quick update as I sit here in the waiting room, waiting for an Echo test to be done on Ethan. An Echo test is a test to check to see if his PDA valve in his heart has closed, or gotten smaller from his 2 rounds of Ibuprofen medicine. If it has closed or is at least showing signs that it has gotten smaller, than he won't have to have sugery to close it, it will do it by itself. But if the size of his PDA valve hasn't changed at all due to the Ibuprofen medicine, then he will have a little heart sugery(which they say it isn't anything to worry about, as it is a simple procedure) in the next two days to close it.

Usually if the valve hasn't closed within three rounds of the Ibuprofen then they do the surgery, but with Ethan they don't want to chance another round, because sometimes, I guess, the Ibuprofen medicine can cause bleeding in the brain and/or other problems. So they are also going to be doing an ultrasound sometime today on Ethan's brain to see if there is any bleeding. So we are just waiting for both these tests to be done and get the results back. We should know by tonight whether or not they will do the surgery.
Some good news is they did an ultrasound on Emily's brain to check if there was any bleeding and hers came back normal, which is great news!!! So we are praying that Ethan's brain scan also comes back normal and also that his PDA valve is either smaller or closed!! Which would honestly be a miracle for his gestation age. Many nurses have told me that Emily and Ethan are really doing good for how early they are and are good size babies for being twins. (It must have been all the broccoli I ate!) Emily is on her last round of medicine for her PDA valve, (which was something different than Ethan's Ibuprofen...sorry, I can't remember all the names of the medicines/treatments that they use!) and she will be having her Echo test done tomorrow sometime.
8 hours later...
OK...so I wrote this earlier today, never getting around to finishing it and posting it. I have some good news and some bad news. First off, the good news...the results came back and Ethan's PDA valve is A LOT smaller!!! Yeah!!! That means, Ethan will not have to have the heart surgery!
Some bad news that came to our family today, is that BOTH Ryan's Grandma (Ryan's mom's mom) and his aunt JerriAnn (who is Ryan's mom's sister) had heart attacks last night. Ryan's mom, Tammy, has been with me since the night I got life flighted into Salt Lake. She has been in Pocatello the last few nights taking care of Madisen and Avery, while I was in Utah, with my mom and the twins. But shortly after getting the news of the heart attacks, Tammy took off to be with her mom. I don't know exactly what the doctors are going to do at this point. Last I heard Grandma Gilmore might have surgery where they put a stint in. And I am not sure what the case is with JerriAnn...I will post another update when I know more. We will be praying for them and hope that everything will be ok. If you could also please add them in your prayers...Thanks so much everyone! We love you all! (I sure hope everyone is doing good... I am sorry I haven't gotten around to checking more of your blogs out!)

13 comments:

Cristi said...

WOw! I am so glad Ethan doesn't have to have the heart surgery and that the nurses feel like they are both doing well for their age! That is so hopeful!!!
Sorry to hear about 2 heart attacks in one day in the family! We will be praying for you and your family still. We went to the temple and put your name, Ryan's name, and the twins names on the prayer role on Saturday.

KristaN107 said...

Wow, Christy you are on one crazy roller coaster ride. If I were you, I'd want off!! You are so strong. I am SOOO happy for Ethan!! That is a miracle, and I'm so relieved his heart valve shrunk!! (That seems really odd to be thankful for a shrinking heart valve, haha) Thank you Christy for updating!! I check every day wondering how the twins are doing, and am grateful you let us know through your blog.
I'm sorry to hear about Ryan's grandma and aunt. I will pray for them and their recovery, and continue to pray for Ethan and Emily. LOVE YOU!!!

Alex and Kimberly Rasmussen said...

Glad to hear the good news on the babies. I am sorry to hear about grandma and aunt, hope all goes well. Good Luck with the upcoming days, Love ya

Skye said...

I'm so happy to hear the twins are doing good! No brain bleeds is awesome. I remember waiting for results from Echos and ultrasounds too and just praying they came back normal. So my heart goes out to you when you say its a rollercoaster ride :) It looks like Ethan and Emily are definately fighters though! And the nurses there know what they are talking about if they say they are doing good. Well I hope everything continues to go well with the twins and I hope your extended family problems can be resolved and everyone can regain their health too.

The Suttons said...

Yay for little Ethan!! That is great news and for Emily too! What a great blessing!! So sorry about Ryan's grandma and aunt-what a horrible time for you guys to have other things happening in your family. The Suttons are sure praying for you! Love you!!

*Sheigh* said...

Its great news to hear about Ethan and Emily! You and your family will continue to be in my prayers! Love ya!

RORYJEAN said...

I'm glad they are still fighting for life and that Ethan didn't need surgery. I'm so sorry to hear about Ryan's Grandma and Aunt- talk about having a rough month for your family! We'll continue to pray for you and your family.

Whenever I see people facing trials like this, I am impressed that Heavenly Father trusts them enough to give them this kind of a trial. Hang in there!

Pattie D said...

Christy,
We are sorry to hear about the heart attacks, wow! We will be praying for them.
What great news about Ethan, I know that is a big hurdle for him. These truly are special babies! Don't worry about all of us, we will be here when you get done with this little adventure you are on. Just know we love you, Ryan, Madi, Avery and the twins and pray for blessings to abound>
Hugs and love
MOMC

Shantaila said...

Keep being strong! We are all praying for all of you. You are a great example of strength!

Unknown said...

Christy, you are an inspiration to me! I can't even imagine what you and your family are going through. You are so strong and you seem so put together. I admire your strength, and I know your twins need it. I sure hope Ryan's grandma and aunt are doing better. What crazy times your guys have had!
Hope you are doing well, and as always, PLEASE, let me know if I can help you in ANY way! Love you lots!

The Lorenc Family said...

Yay Ethan! Yay Tammy! Yay Ryan and Christy! Hang in there! We love you!

Alan Lindsay said...

Guys, you are going one extremely emotionally rich time. You have such strength, I could never handle the intensity of your situation. I am very proud of you and glad that you are handling things so well. We are praying for you and I am certain the Lord is looking down on you. You are great people and many people love you a lot. Thank you for being wonderful. May God bless you with your desires.

Tammy said...

I am soooo happy to hear about Ethan's PDA. It is a roller coaster ride of emotions everyday.

Good News Update (We need every bit that we can get)! My mom and sister both came home from the hospital on Wednesday. My Mom's heart pain and bad EKG was caused from severe coughing from Bronchitus and my sister's heart attack was caused by a reaction to Imitrex (migraine medication). It is crazy that they both had symptoms and had to be rushed to the hospital at the same time on Monday morning. They both have healthy hearts (no damage) and clear arteries. They have to take it easy for a few day but can resume life as normal next week. Jerri Ann was told that she has the heart of a 20 year old (she's turning 50 this year)!

Anyway, this is some good news among all of the emotional hardshps of the past few weeks. Thank you everyone for all of your prayers. Thanks also, Stephanie for helping out Tuesday when I was so torn about having to leave my sweet grandchildren. It was a very hard decision. You were amazing!