April 16, 2009

Many Firsts! An ambulance ride, a jet plane journey and preterm labor!

Some of you have noticed that the poll on the right side of our blog at guessing the gender of our twins, has counted down the days over and over again at least 4 times now. At 13 weeks we found out what ONE of the babies is. I was going to announce it on our blog soon after, but I really wanted to announce them together since they are coming together. So I decided to wait until we found out what they both were. Each visit and ultrasound I had after that they just couldn't tell what the sex of the other baby is. Another month would pass, and again, they couldn't tell what the baby was.
Well at yesterday's ultrasound, not only did we finally find out what we are having, but this ultrasound started a new juorney for us that totally took us for a loop!
Everything was looking great with both babies, the heart, lungs, they both had the right amount of fingers and toes and belly botton holes. :) At the end of the appointment the ultrasound tech wanted to check my cervic with a vaginal ultrasound, but what came next was such a shock, that not even the ultrasound lady could keep a poker face. She let out a little "gasp", and a look of horror washed over her face. Followed by, "Ummm... I need to go talk to your doctor right now." We asked her what was wrong, and her reply was a stuttering, "Uh, well, umm, I, uh, your cervix... is not.... showing as much as it's... supposed to." And out of the room she flew!
As you can imagine Ryan and I were completely dumfounded and also confused and scared as to what the heck was going on. The doctor comes in and says immediately that I am to be life flighted to Salt Lake and hope these babies stay put before I get there!
"WHAT!?!"
I guess my cervix had dilated to a 3, and the baby's foot was down in the birth canal! I knew that I was feeling completely overwhelmed by so many things this last month and that I needed to take it easy, as I have had contractions here and there, but I didn't know I was dilated to a 3, or that one of the baby's feet was poking out!
The next thing I knew I was being strapped down to a gurney by four or five nurses, clothes being stripped off, while Ryan and I both start crying. They start poking me with needles in each bum, each arm, and thumb (ok, not my thumbs, just trying to rhymn! :)) and I was lucky enough to even be given my first ever... cathater! Boy was that intense! Yet, it was nothing compared to what I was going to experience next...
I was then loaded onto an ambulance and driven to the Pocatello Airport where I was tightly packed onto a six seater jet plane and life flighted to Salt Lake City. The airplane ride over was probably the scariest thing ...ok it WAS the scariest thing I have ever experienced besides not knowing if I was going to loose these babies.
After loading the plane and taking off, I realized how much I HATE to fly, especially in small planes! The turbulance and air pockets we hit were so bad I just knew we were going to be on the front page of the morning news the next day. Luckily, they gave me oxygen to try and calm me down as I stopped breathing dozen of times... and they had to keep telling me, I HAD to breathe, or these babies would be born on the plane!
We finally landed on the earth's solid ground and I don't think I have ever been more relieved in my whole life! I was then loaded onto another ambulance. And as it zips down the streets, I think, "Well, this will make for an interesting post." haha! :) I was joking the whole way to the hospital with the nurses and EMT's on board. I told them, "Well it's a blessing I have a nifty cathater on, as I would have peed my pants on the plane ride and made a terrible mess!" Joking around helps me relax, so I sure was making a fool of myself... it was great! :)
So now I am here, in Salt Lake, at the University of Utah Hospital. Ryan's mom was able to drive up to be with me as I told Ryan to stay home and go to school. Our kids are with my parents, and I know they will take good care of them, but I miss them already!
Anyway they were able to get my contractions to stop and we have managed to keep the babies inside for now. I am exactly 23 weeks today, I guess I am a little off on my time chart on the side of my blog. I will have to stay in Utah on bedrest for the next two to three months or until these babies come, (hopefully not too soon) only getting up out of bed to go pee! Utah's hospital is better equipped to take care of the twins if they were to be born this early. They have a better chance of survival here rather than in Pocatello. So for now, I am just to take it day by day.
---
Thank you all for your love, support and prayers!
---
We also wanted to FINALLY report what we are having! Most of you know that at 13 weeks we knew one was a BOY!!! You can imagine how excited we are to be getting a BOY, especially Ryan. And I am happy to report that he is still showing to be ALL BOY!! ;)

We were pretty confident the other one was a girl, but didn't know for 100% sure that it was, and I guess technically there is no 100% sure way to know until they are actually born!

The other baby is....


(drumroll, please....)







A GIRL!!!!
We are super excited to be having another girl as we LOVE our girls!!!
So those of you 23 people that voted a boy and a girl- YOU ARE RIGHT! Those that voted something else, well YOU ARE WRONG! haha. Better luck next time...not on our blog of course! It would have to be someone else's! ;)

23 comments:

Ben and Terah said...

Oh my gosh! Please keep those babies inside of you! I hope everything works out for the better!

Nicole Leavitt said...

wow! what a crazy experience! that is one for the books! i am so so glad you are ok! i will pray that the babies stay inside! that is so awesome that youare having one of each! what names are you thinking? take care! i look forward to your posts about your progress and time at the hospital!

The Suttons said...

Oh Christy!! You are going through so much-I wish I could help you! I am going to come visit you for sure! I love you and congrats on finding out for sure the other one was a girl-I voted right I guess I am pyschic! Love ya :)

RORYJEAN said...

Oh my goodness, what a scary ordeal- I am glad you came out of it with your sense of humor intact and that everything turned out fine. Wow! Enjoy the bedrest while you can, too. They put me on bedrest with Apollo, which I hated, but now I wish I could relive a few days of it. At least you'll have plenty of time to catch up with your reading or knitting or whatever you can do while sitting. We'll keep you and your babies in our prayers.

Also, woo hoo, a boy and a girl! What fun! Boys are such a blast (they love their mamas), and I'm sure you know how great girls are. Congrats!

Joanna said...

Christy, I'm so glad that you were able to get to the U of U Hospital safely and that everything is okay for now. We think about you often and pray for you every chance we get. It's such a blessing that the ultrasound tech had the sense to look at the cervix and caught that problem in time to get you and the twins to a better equipped hospital. Hang in there. I know that it'll be tough to have to stay in the hospital 24-7, but if anyone can handle it you can. We love you and know that everything will be okay. Love ya!

Morgan said...

We heard all about this, and really hope that you take care of yourself! Ah! Having twins is not a job for the faint-hearted! Hang in there and you are in our prayers! If there is anything anyone can do for you, since you are in bed for a while now, LET US KNOW!
All my love
Morgan

amy jane carpenter said...

OH MY HECK!! How incredibly scary. I'm glad to hear those babies are staying right where they should be.
But obviously the circumstances are not in your favor right now. You're so positive!! U R amazing.
I hope, no scratch that, i KNOW everything will work out somehow for you guys.
And that's so fun that you'll be getting a boy and a girl!

Andrea said...

Holy Frickin' Moly. That is one crazy episode in the life and times of Christy! I assume you have a laptop with you? Whew! That means everything will be alright. You'll have plenty of blogging to keep you busy in the long (hopefully for the babies) months ahead! Good luck. I'll take notes at all the scrapbook nights you miss.

Blake and Lara said...

Oh my goodness!!!! You poor thing! I can't believe all that drama. I'm so glad they were able to get you to a better hospital so your sweet babies will have every chance to be born healthy and strong! We will definitely keep you guys in our prays. Hang in there sweetie and keep us posted on everything. Thats great news about the sexes, boys are great fun!

Anonymous said...

How incredibly scary! But you are in good hands now. Keep up the awesome attitude!

Jeff and Laura said...

OH MY! How scary...I was anxious the whole time I read this. I hope everything goes well and congrats on the boy and the girl. I will be praying for you and those little babies!

Morgan said...

Christ, it's Jeremy. Hey, if any physical therapist comes in to give you some bed exercises you'll have to tell them hi for me. We'll see if they remember who I am. In the words of Nacho "Take it easy". You'll be in our prayers. Also, tell Ryan we want to feed him some night or for a week, or month.

Ashlie said...

Ahhhh! Scary! I'm glad you're being taken care of, and that you're in a good hospital. Just keep praying, and I'll be doing the same. Congratulations on the babies, especially the boy! ;) Be good and keep them inside!

Mom said...

I thought I had it bad being on bed rest at home but you totally take the cake! Tell those babies to stay put and I hope the next few months fly by for you.

Cristi said...

WOWSAS! That is quite the story my friend! WHEW! I'm glad everything is ok! We sure do love you guys and you're in our prayers. I didn't know the baby could put his or her foot down the birth canal without your water breaking first! Holy cow! Well, I hope us staying at your house didn't add to this prematureness! I love you! We will see you when we come to Pleasant Grove!

Heather said...

oh my gosh what is with that! crazy babies trying to come before invited. Well MacKay and I are going to invite ourselves to come visit you soon. maybe we will bring you some card games or something so you and ryan aren't bored out of your mind! Let us know if you need anything you aren't that far away anymore! Even if you want some food that isn't hospital food. We will make that drive for you! We love you guys and hope everything starts to get better. (tell your babies that I'm supposed to be due first, so they can't come until mine comes!)

Morgan said...

Um, I'm pretty sure that Jeremy meant to write "Christy" instead of what he did. Sorry everyone for that! He's kinda loopy from all the school...
Morgan

ANDY, JEN & KIDDIES said...

Oh my, oh my! How scary! I guess they are just anxious to get here. You better have a good talk with them about being patient, mama. We will for sure be keeping you and your babies in our prayers. You keep taking it easy, K!

Pattie D said...

Wow Christy, I have known about this for a couple of days. Just thinking about you...well. Kimberly called me as soon as she got off the phone with you. You are in our prayers daily. You and your whole family. I am glad Ryan's mom can be with you and bring you a computer, that will help. Know you are loved. I hope all goes well. Be patient! That maybe the hardest part.
Do you have a way to play CD's? I guess you would with the computer...I have a great book on discs, I think you might enjoy it
love and hugs
MOMC

*Sheigh* said...

Oh sweetie! You are in my thoughts and in my prayers! I wish there was something I could do for you! Love you! Congrats on the BOY and the GIRL. Soo exciting!!1

Sarah and Adam said...

Love you!

Morgan said...

Jeremy again. When I called yesterday I was just trying to find out if Ryan was home and if he wanted some food! What we ended up talking about was totally unexpected. You are all in our prayers daily and in our thoughts constantly.

Hawkins Family said...

Oh my goodness, I hadn't checked your blog in a few weeks and I couldn't believe what I found today! You and the babies are in our prayers. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help! We are just a 30 minute drive from SLC. Seriously...let me know if there is anything!