April 14, 2009

Chore Chart

I have been working on a Chore Chart for Madisen this last weekend, (it's about time she started helping with rent! haha. jk) and I think it turned out pretty good. I always have a picture of what it is that I want to accomplish or what I want it to look like but it seems like my projects never turned out exactly how I viewed them in my head. Hmmm...well this one came close! So I thought I would share.
I wanted a chart that could be interactive, simple and also fun with pictures. I also wanted a chart that would last a long time that I could use over and over again each month and with each kid. (That's if it doesn't get too banged up by the last child!) So this is what I came up with:



Everything is laminated, so it won't tear. I didn't want to overwhelm Madi with too many chores or chores that might be too hard for her, so I thought 7 was a good number. And some of them really aren't even chores, just more like things she can now start doing by herself, without help from mom and dad.

Everything is velcro; the month, stars, chores, her name, and the little girl. They can all be replaced with other months or chores in the future. I put a list of chores that she has to complete down the side, and everytime she gets it done, she can put a star next to the picture on whatever day it is. At the bottom of the poster board I am going to make and attach some velcro pouches to hold the other months of the year and a little pouch to hold all the stars so she can reach in and grab them herself. (I ran out of velcro to finish the rest of the week with stars, so I need to get more.)

We haven't quite figured out what we are going to do for a reward system, we have been thinking about giving her a certain amount of money for every day/ week she does it. That way she learns more about using money, savings and tithing. Anyone have any suggestions?? Those with older kids, what do you do?

8 comments:

Alex and Kimberly Rasmussen said...

way cute!!!

Andrea said...

This makes me remember that I need to get with the program! I'm sure Madisen will love doing her chores now. I've tried a few different types of charts, but each one slowly dies out. I just need to keep at it and not be so lazy. For a while last year we gave the girls points for different things they did, and when they got, say, 20 points they earned a trip to the $ store to pick out a prize. I don't know what my deal is, but for some reason I'm really against any type of allowance - even though it might help them learn about money. I need to re-evaluate things and figure out why I'm so anti-money, and whether or not it's productive. Maybe when summer break starts I'll get motivated by the "fresh" start and have you give me some advice on a chart!

Tony and Shelly said...

PRAYING FOR YOU CHRISTY!!!!!

I hope you and your babies are ok

LeeAnn and Boys said...

We're praying for you Christy!

RORYJEAN said...

I'm going to copy you- this is so creative! I love the idea of velcro- then you don't have to keep buying stickers. Thanks for sharing!

The Suttons said...

I love it! Really cute! I think you already know we do the marble jar thing and every time they do a chore -they get a marble and when their jars are full-we take them anywhere-except like Disneyland of course-they want to go. It's been great but I think the money thing is a great idea too!

Christy said...

thanks for all your comments! ANdrea, I actually feel the same way about money and giving kids an allowance. I grew up where if you were a member of the family you helped out no matterwhat, without getting paid. I have always felt that way. But then I feel like how do we teach her about money and using it wisely? We were just going to take her to the store and let her pick out something, but I want to teach her about money and savings and all that I just don't know how to do it!?? anyway I totally feel the same way though. just wanted to share that. Thanks for your comments!

Cristi said...

we give emma a quarter after she earns like 10 stars for doing chores. She can then buy bubble gum from the bubble gum machine. or some other candies.