March 12, 2009

New Tradition

Those that live here in Pocatello Idaho, know that there isn't a whole lot to do with kids especially in the winter months. Which hasn't really bothered me, because I like small towns and the people and friends we have made here make up for that! Yet, sometimes I wish there was a Chuck E Cheese's or a Fun Center to enjoy with the kids every once in awhile.We do have a "Zoo", I don't know if I would go that far in calling it a "Zoo"...maybe a few cages with wild animals. Haha! But during the winter we can't go there anyway. We also have several lovely parks that we go to often in the summer time of course. So other than that there's not many places to take kids...maybe I am just not creative enough!? Anyone here in Pocatello have any ideas as a fun outing with kids?

It's weird even though we are living off student loans and scholarships (which many of you are in the same situation) until Ryan graduates in 2010, we really have to keep family fun time to under $10... Yet, I have never felt so blessed in my life! You will probably think I am crazy for saying this, but this stage of life- being poor and college students has been anything but a trial! It's been such a blessing and when my husband is out of school and we start making actual money, I am not sure how I am going to feel about that. Of course I will be excited, but in a way I almost feel sad. WEIRD, I know! We still have another year and half of school, so I don't know why I am even feeling this way, I am sure by the end of it all I will be glad to be done, but it's just been a great ride for us so far! We have grown closer together through all of it and maybe that's what I am afraid of losing.
ANYWAY, totally got off the track there! haha. Now I can't remember what this post was about! Oh yeah, Our new family tradition we started with our girls is taking them to the mall play area every Friday night. Sound lame, eh? But the girls love it! They can run around and get all their wiggles out and Ryan and I take turns going out and window shopping while they play. Then we either go out for some icecream after or get something to share at the mall. We have gone so much that it just became our family outing every Friday night. Madi even asks me every week now, "Are we going to the Mall to play?"
The girls love to go down the slide backwards on their bellies! They do it over and over again making mom dizzy.

Avery likes to climb up onto the frog and stand up. It's funny how proud they are of themselves when they do something challenging. I always worry that she is going to slip and fall off! This time we caught her "conducting", as she has learned from the lady conducting the music at church.

Now you know if you haven't been able to get a hold of us on a Friday night, it's not because we are avoiding you, we are at the Mall! Come join us! :)

10 comments:

Sandie said...

too funny...if we ever drive through on a Friday, we will stop at the mall to meet up with you!!!!
Sandie

RORYJEAN said...

I love the mall play area- it's like having a free indoor playground nearby. Window-shopping is a perk :)

Just Only Me said...

We have that same exact Indoor Park! The Zoo, what a cute name. We love it too, our treehouse has a fun slide and Ryan goes down it if no one is looking...fun for kids and bored adults!

*Sheigh* said...

That is a great idea! We are always trying to find something to do with the kids that is out of the house! You might end up seeing us there one friday night! Love ya!

The Lorenc Family said...

What a neat tradition! I love traditions! And I feel the same way about school. It has been so good for us, and we have had more than we need even on our tight budget. It has been peaceful and we have learned so much! My friend's husband just started going to school again and she is really stressed out, and I wanted to tell her all the same things you feel, too!

Maybe we'll get to go to the mall and do this same thing... I'll let you know!

Unknown said...

Our kids love the play area too. I jus wish there was a gate...Saylee is constantly leaving the area and it drives me crazy. We were just there yesterday afternoon and the kids did so great, until the end when Heigan ran all the way down almost to where Dillards used to be...we left right then. The joys, the joys! :)

Tammy said...

I agree with you about those poor school days. I loved them and miss them sometimes so don't think you are wierd. It looks like Avery socialized to the play area sooner then Madisen did. I'm glad they are letting loose. Years from now you will laugh and appreciate this special time even more.

Jessica Adams said...

We have gone to the Outer Limits and just gotten tokens and let Gracie play there! It was pretty fun! Somethin new! The play area there is awesome...I think it is like $3 or somethin!

Joanna said...

How fun! I love the conducting. Avery is not afraid to get up and take the lead, is she? Ha ha

Cristi said...

love your positive attitude! wish i was like that!