November 13, 2008

Food Flop!


Everyone has their little secret indulgences. Mine is chocolate. A side of chocolate with anything and dipped in everything sounds great to me! ;) I have been craving CHOCOLATE chip pumpkin bread for the past, oh I know don't...2 weeks, but finally got around to making some last night. I have been trying to do things more healthy as far as food choices go, (The Biggest Loser inspires that in me... don't worry it doesn't last long!) One reason I put off making it, is because it isn't very healthy. But my craving for it kept resurfacing, and I found myself at those moments salivating uncontrollably. haha! So instead of adding 1 cup oil like the recipe says, I substituted that for apple sauce. And instead of three cups sugar I did 2 cups. And instead of 4 eggs, I did 2 eggs and 2 egg whites only. With all those heathly alternatives I thought, "I hope it tastes the same. I am really craving some 'good' chocolate chip pumpkin bread!"

Well, just like you thought... it was a FLOP. (The title must have given that away, not all the sarcasm)

I made three loaves and although they look great on the outside, the middle looks like gel and reminds me of fruitcake. (I am not a fan of big chunks of fruit in anything- pizza, pie, and especially cake). The texture is all wrong and doesn't even slightly resemble anything known as "bread". I was sadly dissappointed the way it turned out, and actually thought before baking it I would take plates of bread around to friends...what a joke that would be! (Sorry, I had good intentions mind you...) But what did I expect after taking out all the "good" ingredients!? At least now, I am not craving pumpkin bread like I was and saved myself a few long hours in the gym!
Anyone still interested in something that sort of resembles what should have been known as pumpkin bread, be my guest!

I found this cartoon and just thought it was funny.

4 comments:

Ashlie said...

I hate it when recipes don't turn out! Don't even ask about my sugar cookie dough for fruit pizza incident. That was a mess and a nightmare!

Anyways, instead of sugar, try Splenda. It's supposed to bake and taste the same, but be way better for you. Also, leave half the oil in the recipe, and replace half with applesauce. And of course, my best cooking friend is egg substitute! Tastes and looks the same, but very little cholesterol and all that crud.

And if you watched Biggest Loser this week, their trick was to pre-portion! (Michelle and her brownies...) cut into slices, individually wrap, and freeze it! I think her words were "I can have it, but only a little bit."

Ok, that was like the longest comment ever. Sorry!

Ashlie said...

I totally hate it when recipes don't turn out! It stinks :(

So, I suggest Splenda and egg substitutes for you. Splenda is supposed to bake and taste like sugar, but be way better for you. I can't even tell the difference between egg substitute and eggs now. Tastes and acts the same, but without all the cholesterol and stuff. And it keeps way longer than eggs, and is easier to transport :)

You could also try substituting half the oil called for in a recipe for applesauce. That will work!

Ok, that was the longest comment ever... Sorry! Good luck with the next batch!

Christy said...

Thanks Ashlie! I will have to try making it again using the things you said! I am not a very good cook! haha.

amy jane carpenter said...

Oh Christy stop being so healthy!
You don't make pumpkin bread for physical health, you make it for emotional health. Haha, i'm totally joking. I can only make fun of you because I can see myself trying to do the same thing. Thanks for the heads up on this approach not working.