June 13, 2008

Little Bookworm...

In the past few weeks I have read a couple of excellent books! I really love to read but with two kids and everything else in life, it's hard to find time to read the scriptures everyday, let alone a good story book on the side...or maybe not for some of you, I am probably just a slacker! ;) SO anyway I just wanted to share the books I have read recently...

The Host by Stephaine Meyer:
"A fantastic, inventive, thoughtful, and powerful novel. The Host will keep you reading well into the wee hours of night, and keep you thinking, deeply, hauntingly, well after the final word." —Ridley Pearson, author of Killer Weekend.

This is exactly what happened to me!! I got hooked and read until 4 in the morning! Even though I really liked this book and the message of it, with all books there are always some crazy ideas and concepts that I don't quite agree with and the ending was surprising and different from what I was expecting...well I don't quite know what I was expecting, just not that. However, overall it was a FANTASTIC book! I read the complete Twilight series last year, and they get you hooked too....I don't think I got anything done on those days...it's ok to do that every once in awhile, right?!

The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks:
"The Notebook is an epic love story centered around an older man who reads aloud to an older, invalid woman whom he regularly visits. From a faded notebook, the old man's words bring to life the story about a couple who is separated by World War II, and is then passionately reunited, seven years later, after they have taken different paths. Though her memory has faded, his words give her the chance to relive her turbulent youth and the unforgettable love they shared." This book was really good, if you like love stories.... I do like love stories...well modest love stories! There are a few love scence (so skim, skip or do whatever you prefer).

The Wedding by Nicholas Sparks:
This book is the follow up to the The Notebook.... "After thirty years of marriage, Wilson Lewis, son-in-law of Allie and Noah Calhoun (of The Notebook), is forced to admit that the romance has gone out of his marriage. Desperate to win back his wife, Jane's, heart, he must figure out how to make her fall in love with him... again." This book was another confirmation to me that you have to nurture your relationship with your spouse everyday!
-
Mary, Martha, and Me: Seeking the One Thing That is Needful, by Camille Fronk Olson:
"When someone says, "She is a Martha-type," we know just what that means: a woman who is practical, competent, down-to-earth. We understand that Marthas are certainly useful and necessary, but it's usually Mary that gets the halo. This book brings the unique insights and perspectives to the biblical story of two sisters, Mary and Martha, who serve Jesus in different ways. Exploring the mixed messages in daily life, she discusses the motives and focus that determine our choices and the problem of comparing our gifts and contributions to others. In her warm, engaging style, the author brings to light the lessons Mary and Martha learn from each other and the "one thing [that] is needful."
I loved this book! It has helped me better understand myself and the person I am trying to become. I have always been more of a Martha, yet after her insights and understanding Christ and his messages to both sisters there is nothing wrong with being a Martha as long as we understand what is most important!! This book was very insightful to me.

2 comments:

Just Only Me said...

You're amazing! It takes all my focus to sit down and read. Thank you for your comments on the books, I want to read them now!

Tammy said...

I'm going to have to read the Mary Martha book. I was also going to call you and see if you had read "The Host" but now I see that you did. I just finished it a few days ago. I got it on audiobook and listened to it on my way home from Colorado Springs. It was a surprise ending. I love to read!