May 15, 2008

Happy 30th Alan!!!

Alan and I have been friends since we were 15, so we’ve been friends about half our lives. I’ve watched him accomplish many things in my day, like spraying himself in the eye with perfume at Dillard’s when he was trying to flirt with the sales girl, or watch him leap from a car going about 30 mph with a t-shirt and shorts on. By the way, after having leapt from that moving car, he came to school the next day wearing shorts that revealed the super nasty carnage on his knees. He put this Vaseline on his knees to prevent cracking of the scabs, but it was so horrifically disgusting that people would walk as far from him as possible.
This one time he pulled the fire alarm at our high school just for fun. The whole school had to be evacuated, but I don’t think anybody ever found out it was him. I knew Alan was super cool when he brought his really old-school snowboard to the sled and inner tube hill. He looked so sweet in his black trench coat snowboarding down the little hill.

Alan is one of the best musicians I know. He has written so many great songs and many of them on the fly, making them up on the spot like the Big Fat Pie song, or the song Shaun Heier was singing for his then-girlfriend Joselyn. I love his impromptu jazz sessions and I have learned so much from his skills. My skills plus his skills have also brought forth some pretty sweet tunes. He and his wife Cristi have written some seriously unreal songs too.

Alan has this way about him that draws people to him in a mysterious subconscious way. He always seems like he’s in control even though often he’s doesn’t know what’s going on. He takes it in stride and somehow makes things work out for the best. He and I can laugh for hours about pretty much anything. We’ve created alter egos ranging from german housekeepers at the Marriott to Yanni wannabes to Chinese proverb creators to the famous Loaf Loaf or writing completely off-the-wall resignation letters for jobs we quit without two-weeks notices.

Alan is one of my best friends of all time. He is the greatest friend I could have ever asked for! Happy Birthday, Alan. This picture is them singing at a church Christmas program in 2005.

(Christy)-I also wanted to take a moment and wish Alan a happy Birthday by embarrassing him some too! I met Alan while I was dating Ryan. Ryan and I went through a lot before getting married, (hence the five engagements) and Alan and Cristi were always there not only for Ryan but for me. I would go over to their place after they were married and talk to them for hours each time Ryan and I broke up. They were always very supportive and kind to me and still are.
(This picture was taken at Sarah and Price's house in Colorado)

My husband is just amazing and is the most spiritual and kind person I have ever met. And Ryan is the person he is today a lot due to Alan and Brady (the third member of the trio). Ryan struggled some as a youth and didn’t have good friends, but then he met Alan and Brady. They all helped each other and remained active in the church and were good examples to others. I will always be grateful to Alan and Brady for their love and friendship they showed Ryan during those teenage years. And I know they feel the same way about Ryan. It’s so incredible to see that bond and friendship that they have with each other, and I know that it will last forever…so yes we will all be in diapers together someday! (Alan first though, right? Lol.)

There is lots of things that amazes us about Alan (and his wife Cristi, who I absolutely adore!) But one other thing I want to mention is that Ryan and I love to watch Alan eat….yes, eat. It is so funny! I have never met anyone who can make everything and anything look so delicious to eat. Alan seriously could make dirt look appetizing... Just the way Alan uses his fork and knife almost makes it look as if the food is floating in the air and how he gently eats the food off of the utensil with one swift smooth move. We seriously have never seen anything like it! It's amazing and truly a gift! I have two brothers, who can eat a whole pancake in one big bite without even chewing or inhaling. And most of the time growing up, if you weren't at the table and had your plate full, you would be left in the dust with nothing...(ok maybe not nothing, but pretty close) so in my family we all eat pretty fast. So it's no wonder why I appreciate and enjoy watching Alan eat. He makes you want whatever he is eating. And when he is eating something you are not eating, he makes it look that good that you can almost taste it too! We have always told him he could do a commercial advertising food or get a job critiquing food and everybody would be sold!

Anyway, we hope you have a great 30th Birthday Alan! Hope we didn't embarrass you too bad! ;) We love you!!

Picture of the trio and the wifes! (Ryan and I, Brady and Yvonne and Alan and Cristi!(I am pregnant in this one...) Dec 2004

Ryan, me and Madi with Alan, Cristi, Emma and Brooke (I am pregnant here too...lol) June 2007

1 comment:

Cristi said...

This is the number one sweetest post of all time!