November 11, 2010

"Life's Short...Eat Cookies"

Hi. My name is Christy Hodges and I am addicted to chocolate chip cookies.

Ahhhhhh.....  (big relaxing exhale). 

There. I said it. 

That felt SO good to finally get off my chest.

"Life's Short...Eat Cookies". That has been my motto ever since I first lay eye... I mean, bite on chocolate chip cookies, some 27 years ago.  I have this exact quote above our kitchen table for crying out loud.  I know, strange huh?

My two favorites types of cookies: homemade oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, and "Chip Ahoy" chunky chocolate chip cookies with a big glass of milk. (Of course, I will eat just about any kind of cookie though).

 I. love. cookies.

There. I said it again.

My mouth waters just saying those words. haha.

Ryan once told me not too long ago that cookies are my drug, and when I am stressed out or just having a bad day I crave, no, I NEED chocolate chip cookies to fulfill me because I am that addicted. It's my drug of choice as Ryan has been telling me for years.

I have been in denial for a long time, now I have come to accept that this is true. For my eyes have been opened. I have caught myself on numerous nights the last few months as soon as I have put the kids to bed,  I am in the kitchen in a flash, diving for the cupboard to take out a cup to fill it with milk. Then I spin around to the closet and grab the bag of chocolate chip, "Chip Ahoy" cookies and literally scoop up about 5 or 6 in two seconds flat. Before I realize it, I've sat down at the kitchen table and have already dipped and eaten one cookie and am now on the second. I devour each one pretty fast and take a long swig of cold milk. After eating those, I think, "well, I will just have a few more and eat them more slowly." So I go and grab 3 or 4 more and slowly eat those till they are gone. And drink the last of my milk, enjoying the flavor of cold milk mixed with cookie.

Ryan comes into the kitchen and sees I have just eaten some cookies, so he proceeds to do the same. Yet, when he sits down with his milk and cookies, I notice he only took three cookies.  Three. Meaning, he eats JUST 3 cookies. 1,2,3. That's it. No more.

Huh?! I am so confused by this. I think, "how can he just eat 3?"  

So in my state of confusion, I go and grab two more cookies just to have something to chew on while I sit and ponder this little bit of information about my husband. Who is he? Where did he come from? How can he only EAT 3?

After eating those two cookies. I sit there, still wondering how a person, especially my husband can eat just three cookies and be done?! What is wrong with him? Doesn't he LIKE cookies??

Then it clicks.

Oh my gosh!!  I JUST ate (if you were counting)  like 10-12 cookies!! Oh, man. That's like 650 calories! What is wrong with ME?!

Uhhhhhh..... (Frustrated Napoleon exhale).

By this point I am so depressed that I ate so many cookies, that the only thing that will cheer me up at this point is....

Yep. You guess it.

I dunk and eat 3 more cookies and then go straight to bed, disgusted with myself. Blah.


What's funny though about this all, is growing up in my family my mom made a rule in our home, that we could only have 3 cookies when we came home from school and wanted a snack. The first time Ryan came to my home to meet my family, I remember my mom made cookies and Ryan took like 4 or 5! Umm...hello? Don't you know, you can only have three?? Well, that is exactly what my little brother Randy said to him. Ha. We still joke about that to this day.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------


I hate to admit this, but I honestly think that I single-handily kept Chip Ahoy cookies in business the past few years.

That might be a slight exaggeration, but that's how I feel. That's not something to brag about either. So now that I have confessed my addiction to you all, (and completely embarrassed myself)  my hope is to conquer this addiction. Because it is real.

In fact, just last night I finished a bag of Chip Ahoy cookies. The same bag that my husband bought just the night before, for me. The bag I begged, no threaten him to buy for me as he was heading to the store. That bag is now gone. In ONE day! 

My husband has known that I have had this addiction even before I did, but has been very patient with me. My husband has a small addiction of his own. He loves pop. Or soda or, "coke" as they say here in Texas. But he made a goal not to drink any pop for a whole year! And he is just 1 1/2 months to his goal. What will-power! He is my hero. :)

Wow. Sorry. This post has gotten way out of hand. I didn't mean to write so much. I just couldn't stop... like my addiction with cookies!

I am setting a goal for myself today. I am not going to eat cookies for an entire week. Then once I conquer that, I am going to go for a month, then two months, then possibly a year!  I have to take it one day at a time though. My new motto will now be something like, "Life's Long....Exercise Longer."


What are you addicted to??



9 comments:

Alex and Kimberly Rasmussen said...

YOu are so hilarious!!! I love reading your stories :)-thanks for a good laugh and good luck on your goal/goals!! love you

amy jane carpenter said...

Oh wow this made me laugh! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that can eat all the cookies in the world and never get an ounce of a stomach ache. I wish they made me sick, but instead they make me so happy!

So Good luck in all your endeavors. I'm pregnant with #3 and there's no way I'd have the will power to join you. But maybe 9 months from now my fat self will be forced into it! So let us all know how your "cookie cut-off" goes.

Pattie D said...

ICE! You know this, my ownkids know this, and I openly admit it...I am not ashamed either! The thing I want to know is, why do I look like I do and you my dear look like you do...really where is the justice in that...so the moral of this story is, I am going to start eating cookies. Well because you just proved that 27 years of eating them will make you smart, beautiful and thin!
LOVE YOU!

Hawkins Family said...

You are so funny Christy! I seriously love your blog. It always lifts my spirits in one way or another to read. I am addicted to pretty much anything sweet. Chocolate especially, but really just about anything sweet. I have to have a little (or not so little) treat after lunch and dinner it seems. I prefer to after breakfast too, but I can usually restrain myself then for some reason. I saw this quote in Real Simple magazine and thought you'd enjoy it. "Chocolate is no ordinary food. It is not something you can take or leave, something you like only moderately. You don't like chocolate. You don't even love chocolate. Chocolate is something you have an affair with." -Geneen Roth

Genny said...

Oh, I feel like I just did that with cheese. I bought a block of swiss cheese the other day, cause I wanted to see what it was like. I thought I hated it growing up. Anyway, the next day I look to see 1/2 the block gone. I asked Dan how much he ate. 1 sliver. Which means, I ate the whole thing! I didn't even realize it. It's cheese with me. CHEESE!

Cristi said...

lol!!! i love this! this is me with chocolate (and candy). life's long exercise longer! :)

The Lorenc Family said...

haha Christy! I loved it! ALL!

Joanna said...

Oh my goodness! We are sisters from another mother! I can down 10 cookies faster than you can say "Pass the milk, please." I think my addiction is just plain sugar. And Nate will confirm that for you. I cannot go a day without having some kind of sweet treat to eat. I go to it when I'm stressed, bored, happy, nervous, tired, sad, mad... the list goes on. :D

Joanna said...

PS Oatmeal Chocolate Chip are my favorite too!