September 23, 2016

Nose Surgery


It was nearing my birthday and I decided that I wanted to do something I've needed for years and years but had always put off for another day: sinus surgery.  I've had a deviated nasal septum ever since I was in high school when I got beaned in the face by a basketball.  I haven't been able to breath out of the left nostril since then and have always had to sleep with my face pushed up hard against my pillow to pull traction so I could breath.  Dr. Petersen performed the surgery and when I woke, I felt like my face was full of plastic.  Turns out it was.  These huge stents were in my nose.  I had to walk around the house for the next 4 days with this gauze under my nose for all the blood that would drip out.  I wasn't allowed to blow my nose at all, so it all clotted up and made it impossible to breath.  That was ok, since I hadn't been able to breath for years... When I went in to have the stents removed, I became teary-eyed and almost wept for joy when I could actually breath through my left and right sinuses together!  I should have done this procedure years ago...











No comments: