June 7, 2010

We did it!

Emily and I in the hotel room before the race...ALL smiles. We were a little nervous and very excited! Or, maybe very nervous and a little excited... I can't quite remember. ;)
A few minutes before the race was about to start...STILL smiling. (We had no idea what we were getting ourselves into).And we're off!



Emily and I stayed together until about mile 6. I was the first to hit a "wall" and had to slow down. She kept going strong until mile 8 or 9 she said and hit her "wall".

(Our husbands found us around mile 10 and took these pictures.)
What was I thinking here?
Probably wondering if anyone had a coffin I could just lie down in.


I also remember thinking this around mile 7...


Emily crossing the finish line. She did it in 2 hours 17 minutes! Great job Emily!

Me about to cross the finish line, about 6 minutes after Emily...I could never catch back up to Emily after I lost her.

My first Half Marathon Medal!
Smiling even though my whole body hurt. BAD.
Ryan supported me through all my training and came to cheer me on. Thanks babe!
Emily and I exhausted yet so glad to have finished. We didn't finish in the time we wanted to, but we did pretty good considering the race course. We had no idea there were going to be so many hills! There was one hill that I am sure most people had to walk up because it was so steep and long. And my legs were burning after trying to run up it. Emily and I told somebody that this was our first half marathon and they told us that this course was one of the toughest. Oh?? Great.

And I am sorry for posting this nasty picture of my feet, but I just had to. Really. My poor feet took a beating and they deserve to be recognized for their efforts. Blistered, bruised, cracked, broken nails and dried blood. Nasty! It's hard to tell from this picture but my big toe on my left foot was so bruised deep inside that Ryan had to preform surgery. This was his first toe surgery so he got some hands on experience for the real world someday. (Your welcome honey). He had to use a paper clip, and heat to dig a whole through my nail to drain the blood and water from it. Yeah...it killed. And I screamed.


Now, who wants to do a FULL marathon with me?!


Anyone?


Hello??


Ahhh....don't let the description and picture of my feet scare you.
haha! :)


19 comments:

Andrea said...

Whew. What an ordeal. I feel like I got a workout just reading that!

(which is handy, since I never plan on actually running myself)

Shantaila said...

Good job you guys!!!! You guys did great!

Genny said...

Congratulations! What a hero! :)

ANDY, JEN & KIDDIES said...

Congrats! I am amazed. I wanna train for a 5k after this baby comes but I'm nowhere near ready to train for a marathon. Good luck with that one...hehehe!

amy jane carpenter said...

WAY TO GO! My sis is doing her first half marathon next week i think. I've been running a lot lately myself but she told me not to get any ideas. She warned me that she will never ever ever train for something like this again. ha ha! Maybe i shouldn't show her the picture of your toes. Seriously though, Good job! I think I'll just stick to my safe 3 miles though and call it good.

Leslie said...

GREAT job!!!!!

Blake and Lara said...

Wow! That is so awesome Christy!! I honestly don't think I could do it, or maybe it's that I don't want to do it??hehe Anyway, I just wanted to say that I scrolled down a bit and read the post about Ethan in the hospital and I just wanted to say that it was just beautiful! You guys are seriously wonderful people :) Hope everything is going well!!

Morgan said...

congrats! awesome job!

Unknown said...

Woohoo! I thought of you on Saturday while you were running. and this is what I was doing.... sitting down on my butt eating something terribly unhealthy. Glad you finished! That's awesome. I wouldn't have made it nearly as far. I'm kind of a wimp. I bet you are terribly proud of yourself for accomplishing something so great and difficult! I'm sure proud of you. :)

Tammy said...

WOW, I am so proud of you! Just having that goal is amazing. They do a 1/2 marathon in Bryce Canyon every June and I would like to do it this next year or the year after that...wanna show up with a wheel barrow and give me a ride?

Great job toes, feet and you!

Heather said...

well done! I wish I had the will power to do it. Maybe someday. My mom just ran her first marathon ever 2 weeks ago, and she did a full one! No thank you. 1 mile is a lot of work at this point.

Cristi said...

you are such a stud!!! i walk 3 miles on the treadmill and i'm done. i was a cross country runner in high school, but i stunk at it! you are awesome! and your feet. :)

The Harwood Family said...

Congratulations! What an accomplishment! I would say that I would run a full with you, but maybe ask me once I forget about my last one! :) You should do it! Totally worth it.

Joanna said...

You rock! I went and did an 5K this last weekend and after seeing the marathoners and half marathoners run to the finish, I wanted to do one again. I think I'm going to go for it! You'd better run with me so I don't die! :D

Skye said...

Awesome job!!! I think your feet deserved to be recognized after all they've been through :) And you are brave to let your husband perform surgery involving a paper clip...braver than me :)

By the way, I know your friend Emily! We grew up in the same ward and she was good friends with my sister Heather. And now her mom is my visiting teacher...such a small world! You will have to tell her hi for me.

Hawkins Family said...

You're awesome Christy! Seriously you're my inspiration. :) I really need to start running again. Do you guys ever come to Boise anymore? If you come please call me since we're here now. I'd love to see you and we should go play some tennis!

Christy said...

haha! Thanks Jessica! You are so sweet. We haven't been to Boise in a long time, but we are planning on coming out there this summer. We are looking for a job right now around that area so that we would be great to see you and get some tennis in!

KristaN107 said...

WOW Christy! You are a runner mom now? Could you be any more ambitious!? haha. You look really hot in your runner outfit by the way. Congratulations!! I'm proud of you friend!

RORYJEAN said...

Wow Christy- you're amazing! I have always dreamed about running a half marathon, but never actually followed through with it- I'm all talk. You're my hero! And to think you ran one of the toughest courses! WOW!

I hope your feet are feeling better- ouch!