May 11, 2009

Ethan's Funeral


On Saturday, we had a funeral for Ethan in Preston, Idaho. He was buried right above my Grandpa Hodges, who passed away almost 2 years ago. It was a very bittersweet moment for all of us because we knew Ethan had completed his mission, but we also knew we wouldn't see him again on this earth.
His little coffin was so small amidst all the big headstones and crowd of people and flowers. Christy and I both wrote him letters that we placed in a small plastic bag under his arm right before we sealed his coffin. He looked so sweet in his little white tuxedo that his Grandma Newman made for him and the blue blanket his Grandma Graf made.
Bishop Johnson presided over the funeral and we sang "I Am a Child of God" and "Families can be Together Forever," the same two songs that we sang for Ethan as he passed away in our arms at the hospital. Bishop Johnson gave a wonderful talk on Ethan's life and the reason that many infants die. He spoke about Ethan's mission on earth to gain a body and how he came here to strengthen all of us.
I (Ryan) then read the letter that I had written for Ethan. I felt a little frustrated because I couldn't seem to speak at times with the huge lump in my throat. I finally got through it and then Christy's Dad, Jared dedicated the grave with a beautiful prayer in which he promised us that the place where Ethan and Grandpa were buried would be preserved from harm until they were resurrected.
After the funeral, we knelt beside Ethan's coffin and said goodbye to him. I am so glad that we know the gospel promises we have been given. What a blessing it is to know that we will have him forever. We went to the Winder Ward chapel afterwards and had a great meal provided by the Relief Society from our Cedar 2nd ward in Pocatello. Thank you Cedar 2nd ward for all your help and providing such a great service to our family. It was great (especially the cheesey potatoes!). We would like to thank everyone for their thoughts, prayers, and support at this hard time in our lives. It was pretty tough and sad to say goodbye, but with so much love coming from all around us, we felt so peaceful. Christy's brother, Randy and dad, Jared, holding the girls...as you can see in these pictures the girls were held by almost everyone!

The girls looked cute in their dresses that Grandma Gilmore got them for the funeral.
Thanks Grandma!



10 comments:

Morgan said...

Beautiful pictures. Thank you for sharing your tender experiences with all of us, because we all love you and care about you so much. The gospel is wonderful, and I am grateful for your example of strength amidst hard times. Thank you for the copy of your beautiful pictures of Ethan. I cried and cried, but was grateful that you shared them with us.
Hugs to all of you,
Morgan

Just Only Me said...

What a beautiful memorial for little sweet Ethan. He sure left big footprints on our hearts and we didn't even know him. We love you.

Joanna said...

There's such a sweet feeling that comes from those pictures and reading your post. Your Bishop was inspired when he talked about Ethan and his mission on this earth. What a special guy you have. We love you and still pray for you and all and Emily.

Cristi said...

This breaks my heart so much. I thought of you all day. That tiny coffin is so hard to see. I'm so glad you had so many people around who love you and support you.

We love you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RORYJEAN said...

I can't imagine what it must feel like to stand above such a tiny coffin and say goodbye. You are truly amazing. Your posts are always so full of hope and gratitude, despite the trials you are facing. Thank you for being such an inspiration. Your story has strengthened my faith and inspired me to be more grateful.

Pattie D said...

Ryan,
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Such tender priceless experiences and you have choosen to share them with all of us! This little guy has touched many lives. I just want you to know we love you and that you and your family continue to be in our prayers each morning.
thanks for strengthen all us through this experience.
Love and hugs
Mom and DadC

KristaN107 said...

I loved these pictures. The girls looked so adorable and I was touched by the pictures of Christy and Ryan with Ethan's little coffin. I'm glad he is buried in Preston with his great grandpa. My own dad is buried in that exact same cemetary, along with many of my other LaMont relatives. What a coincidence huh? Or maybe it's not. I'm thankful that families AND friends can be together forever. You continue to inspire me daily. I love you!!!!

Cami said...

Ryan and Christy,

I had a good little cry when I read your posts. Thankyou for sharing your testimony, and such tender moments. It is so comforting to know that you will see him again,and that he lives with his Heavenly Parents now. Thankyou for your examples of faith and courage.

Chelsie said...

Christy, I've been checking your blog almost daily (or sometimes more) for the past few weeks, and I've cried along with everyone else. I'm finally able to sit down and comment on your posts rather than having to get up and blow my nose and wipe my tears when I'm done reading. ;) Your family is amazing and I can not imagine your incredible strength! This post both broke my heart and touched my sprit as you have written it with so much love and faith. We're thinking of you!!

Leanne said...

What a beautiful tribute for such a precious little boy. Still thinking of you and praying for you!