March 29, 2009

A Surprise Gift!

Last night Ryan and I were online looking at random sites for used minivans. We just sold our trusty little Toyota Tercel yesterday(sniff) and now have one working vehicle to share between the both of us. So we are using the money from the sale of the car, plus money that we have been setting aside over the last few months to go towards a minivan. Never did I think I would be a minivan owner someday, but with two kids and twins on the way it's our only option as far as fitting everyone in comfortably. I know I will enjoy driving it once I get one, but just the thought of having THAT MANY kids to OWN a van is kind of weird to think about...for me anyway. (Didn't I just graduate high school a few years ago?)

Anyway, while we were both hovered over our computer searching for great vans the phone rang and this was how it went...

"Hi, is this Christy?"

"Um, yes..."

"My name is (wish I remembered her name!). I am with an anti-abortion group from Pocatello. We had a booth at the Spring Home Show and... (At this point I am thinking ok, she wants a pledge...how much, if any, can we donate...?) your mom entered a drawing for a gift basket and won."

It took me a moment to realize that she didn't want any money, that she wanted to GIVE me a gift!

What?!? Really!? Is this a joke?

I guess my mom had entered a drawing and won! But my mom told the lady to give the gift to me! So about 20 minutes after the lady called she showed up at our door with a basket of cute baby blankets, diapers, bibs, bowls, lotion, spoons, bottles, just a bunch of baby stuff! So exciting. I couldn't thank her enough. How cool is that?! Thanks Mom for entering and winning! What was really cool, is there is TWO of almost everything...What a blessing!

13 comments:

Andrea said...

How fun! I only get sales calls.

And about the minivan...I had those same feelings about a year ago. Now I seriously wouldn't trade my van for a couple of hot sports cars (and if you know anything about my love of cars, you know that's saying something)! It is the handiest, most comfy, practical piece of equipment ever. Cause, honestly, what are cars for? Driving and hauling. And THAT is exactly what a minivan is designed to do. Good luck in your search!

Tammy said...

There is a time and season for everything in life. A time for style and a time for function. When you get back to a stylish vehichle you will probably miss the old days.

Just Only Me said...

What a blessing!!! That's amazing, what a wonderful surprise.

Alex and Kimberly Rasmussen said...

What a great blessing!! Looks like you better be having a boy and a girl :)-Hope all is well Good luck with the van search!

Usually Kristen sometimes Kevin said...

Isn't it the greatest when you are anticipating expenses (that always gets me down) and then there is a reminder of how blessed you really are. It seems like life is planned perfectly that way. When I get stressed at upcoming expenses there is always something bright (usually via my mom too) that reminds me it will be all right and I am so blessed. ( Sorry, not a succinct thought, but I think you know what I mean.)

And I have to tell you this too... Kevin was checking out the blogs and he read your comment on our blog out loud to me (I was in the other room). Then he went to your blog and he was so excited he said, "Kristen, you're in! Christy called you her friend!" I laughed pretty hard because he was so excited...but I'm sure we would be friends if local weren't an issue.

Christy said...

Thanks Kristen for your comment! Even though we haven't met in person, just by reading your blog I think we are great friends already! Kevin has always been a great friend through the years and I always knew he would marry an amazing girl!

Unknown said...

That is so awesome! I am so glad that you won all that stuff! And it looks like the blanket are for a boy and girl...talk about perfect, right? (unless there are 2 boys...)
Looks like you got some pretty good stuff. Yay for drawings, and winning!

The Moore Family said...

Hey Christy!! That is so awesome!! It always feels good to win something or be given something you really need!! To bad it wasn't a new van! haha ...You guys deserve it and happy car shopping! Talk to ya soon!

The Suttons said...

That's awesome Christy!! That is a ton of stuff! And the blankets are way cute!! It's so nice to get blessings like that when you least expect it! Love ya!

Morgan said...

I love winning things! I am so glad that you got something...Little blessings add up!
Thanks for help with Settlers...we're dumb...

Andrea said...

What...no blog about your new van purchase, with pictures? I'm so disappointed.

Leslie said...

Congratulations!!!! What a perfect surprise!!!!!! I hope you are doing well - I have some catching up to do. Since I started FB, seems like my blogging life got put on hold because I only have time for so much computer time lol. I need to get with it again. Poor Matthew hasn't had nearly as much pictures taken/posted as Sierra. Now, this is getting a little long for a blog comment..
btw I'm up so late because Matthew woke up & I couldn't get back to sleep because of a stomach ache :) checking out a few blogs.

Congrats again - awesome surprise - what a sweet mom!!

Cristi said...

You guys really get blessed for being frugal. We need to follow your example.