September 15, 2008

Why do we blog?

To answer my own question, when I first started blogging it was for many reasons.


The first being several of you are bloggers and I love reading your posts and looking at pictures of your cute family. I love to stay-in-touch with friends and family, as most of you are aware. If you'd ask my husband, he would say that's 99% of what's always on my mind. I am constantly wondering how my friends and family are doing. I can't stand not knowing if everyone is ok. Life gets busy sometimes and we all have our own families, but I love hearing from you and being able to check in whenever I want to. So thank you for sharing your lives with us! I really do love you all!

The second reason was because I used to write in my journal all the time. I like writing about things or maybe it's just that I love to talk. ;) But for some reason I "couldn't find time" when I had kids to write in my journal all that much, and thought maybe I "could find time" to blog. haha! (Now I am finding way too much time for blogging!)



The last reason was because a few of you wanted me to start a blog, and I kept putting it off. Why? I don't know. Maybe because I knew I would become utterly addicted! But to those that kept saying I should, thank you! However, whatever the motive for first starting this blog, it worked. I get to stay in touch better with all of you! And I am keeping a record of my family and our lives, which I have always wanted to do! Plus the added bonus that it is REALLY fun!!!



All those reasons I listed above is why I started a blog, and they are still the reasons why I blog today. Yet, somewhere along the way something else has become important, and I don't know why! BUT it has really started to bug me....and that's comments. Why comments? Why do we all want a comment?!


So I had to think....am I an insecure Mormon mommy of two, who blog-brags or who needs affirmation? I never thought I was or put myself in that category, because I always question my intentions before posting anything...thinking or maybe justifying, "it's journaling-family history," or "for grandma and grandpa to know what we have been up to and see pictures of the kids..." blah blah blah.


So I kept telling myself who cares if no one comments! I love life and I am secure in who I am. But then why, after several days go by after posting something fun (in this case it was my little girl turning one). I thought there would probably be many comments, only to discover that just one person had left a comment (thanks Kara) and I was sadly disappointed! But why?? (Right then that was my first clue about my self-worth...letting it hang on comments). How pathetic. I need a life. lol.

After talking with a good friend of mine the other day she also expressed similar feelings. So I decided to try and write my feelings about this, because I know I am not alone. I don't know if that's a relief knowing that others feel the same way or if I would rather be the only one. And I don't know yet if I will post this... right now I am just writing for my own sake. I am a complete scatter-brain sometimes; no wonder my husband is often times bewildered by my actions. Writing thoughts out helps me to make better sense of them. Yet, maybe I will post this because maybe, just maybe, there are a few you that might be feeling or have felt this way...(but unlike me, you are smart enough not to express yourself and get an angry mob after you!) And those that don't feel this way or never have... good for you! You must be either new to the blogging world or you really are just that secure! :)

So remember these are just my feelings, I don't want anyone being offended by this, or worried that I have indeed reached insanity. I am OK...really. :) And I definitely don't want people to hate me, so please take all this with a grain of salt! I am usually not this bold in front of people, at least I don't think I am...Maybe with my close family and friends who understand and know me well. But usually I just bite my tongue and don't say anything, so I am a little surprised at myself for doing this. It's like an adrenaline rush! (It's all the football that's been going on at our house, seriously!) You know what they say about getting older...you tend to hold back less and want to voice your opinion more. Yikes! (That could be scary!) That should warn me right there to stop and bite my tongue. hehe...I never learn.

I am not sure who invented blogging, but I kind of wonder if it was some amazing stay at home mom of two sets of twins, who needed more ways to express herself other than "goo-goo’s, and ga-ga’s", to an audience older than two. And blogging has definitely become the latest fashion with internet surfing to express oneself.





By writing this, I feel like I am breeching some unwritten rule in the blogging world, that almost everyone thinks about, but few people actually talk about. (Please don't egg my house...it was just painted. I would prefer toliet paper...lol. thanks.) Blogging has become quite the thing to do, everyone surfing around excessively viewing and commenting on everyone else's blogs…all of us telling each other how cute and creative we all are, with all the "aaah's and oooh's" which makes us feel important and inadequate all in the same moment... Doesn't that sound about right? Is it such a bad thing to want some validation then? No I think not. Blogging has become so widespread among stay at home moms. We all want and NEED that adult conversation and what a better way to get that then sharing our lives with each other through our blogs. And then getting feedback through comments...right?? A friend of ours recently wrote on her blog, (and I hope she doesn't mind me quoting her),... "I know, I know. It's been forever right? But I often wonder if anyone actually reads this...maybe I just need some confirmation that the whole blog thing isn't a narcissistic attempt at proving my life has substance..." Amen to that.

Below is a picture I found and thought... that's it! Who is the next...





After reading this post you are probably thinking something like, "ok I thought she was weird, now I know she is weird," "she is going crazy...poor thing" or "she has fallen off her rocker"...haha. If there is one thing I am good at, it is laughing at myself. The fact is: I am having issues. Blogging issues. Time for me to have a hiatus.


(If I haven't made you feel guilty into commenting yet, then this poor little puppy ought to work... haha! jk.) Please don't feel bad if you don't want to leave a comment. I can see it now... everyone leaving a comment because you don't want to hurt my feelings or no one leaving a comment because you are too scared to! (I am pathetic, but not that pathetic!)

9 comments:

Nicole Leavitt said...

Alrighty..here is my excuse! I read all your posts..every single one..but I do it on google reader and it just alerts me when someone as a new post. So I get lazy and dont click on the blog to leave a comment. I agree though..I do love it when people comment..and I think the reason why is because it shows me that people actually read my blog and I am not writing to the dark outer space internet world. Yes I do it for my own journaling purposes, but we all know we love to know whats going on in everyone's lives. So I guess what I am saying..is your post is legit and understandable!

Just Only Me said...

Love love love your post! You're so adorable, and I totally agree with absolutely everything you said. Blogging is a great way to channel everything and I wake up daily thinking, "What can I blog today?" Instead I should be thinking, "What should I feed my children today?" I love blogging! And I love yours!!

RORYJEAN said...

Ahhhh! You are just so honest, I love it. Its truuuuue! I am almost too chicken to admit it, but I do wonder sometimes if no one has commented if maybe my blog was boring or weird or nobody cares. How silly we are. I do read your blog whenever its updated, just FYI- but I don't comment everytime because I don't want you to think I stalk you, haha. How silly of us to worry so much about what other people think. But I love blogging, and I love reading your blog- its fabulous. Your family is aodrable, and you are so creative and hilarious. I feel closer to you even though I haven't seen you in years.

Andrea said...

This is just too funny- I have been forming a similar post in my head for a few months now, but didn't know how to express what I wanted to express. This is just right! I totally live for comments! I think for most people it's like having a conversation - you don't want to say something to your friend only to have them stare at you in silence. You want some feedback! And it makes me feel "connected" and helps me feel "in touch" with my far-away friends. Plus, sometimes I DO post things that may be border-line crazy, so I nervously wait to hear what others think, hoping someone out there will validate me and "get" me. Blogging is seriously the closest I come to an actual conversation most days. I try to ALWAYS leave a comment, cause I know how much I love them, but sometimes when I'm reading a blog something comes up (usually my kids are trying to murder each other or something equally as dramatic) and I have to tear myself away from the computer to take care of it, and then I THINK that I left a comment cause I read the post, but I actually DIDN'T. Maybe that happens to more people? Or (more desperate attempts to excuse my rude behavior) sometimes the way that my blogger settings are, it doesn't show that there is a new post on someone's blog and I completely miss them, cause when I click on my link the newest blog comes up, and old ones don't. I'm sure I miss a lot of entries - especially when people post often, cause I sometimes don't check regularly. Anyway, this was a very long (I should have just made this a post on my own blog apparently - sorry)way of saying I understand!

Anonymous said...

Christy you make me laugh ;)-I think we look for the comments to have a response-Everyone likes to know they are being heard!! I love all your post even if I don't comment on every one I still check it every day to see what you have posted-I think I am not only addicted to my blog but my friends and family's too (lol) love ya

Pattie D said...

Oh Christy,
You cracked me up! Okay, I love comments too....what is it positive reinforcement...I don't know...I love reading the comments (okay maybe I need a life! I already knew that...) So no you didn't guilt me...although come to think about it the puppy did, well you know tug at my heart...lol!

I think, just my opinion, that it is the human connection in us. That need to be a part of something. The need to connect with others who are dealing with life in the same manner we are. We need to know we are okay, doing the right things, for the right reasons, comments are just the way. I look at them as the other end of the conversation, I too often am having with myself.
Love and hugs
Mom C

Blake and Lara said...

YAY!! I'm the first to comment on here.haha I have to admit,sometimes when I don't have many comments on my blog I'm a little disappointed but that doesn't stop me because I know there are people looking at it that have no computer skills.haha I love my parents and parents in law and know they frequently look at our blog without posting a comment as do a lot of our friends. It's funny but blogging does become a sort of therapy for a lot of people including me!! I find I will take extra time with certain posts and make sure my page looks just right. I was telling Blake how obsessive I am sometimes about the way things look because our blog is the one place I have control in an otherwise crazy mess of a life we live.lol Now that sounds crazy!! Anyway, you are justified in your feelings, and just so you know I frequent your blog but don't always make a comment. Please don't bite me!!LOL Have a great day cutie and keep up the blogging!!

Jessica Adams said...

Ha! Ha! Your blogs always make me laugh! I need to be better about posting! I always check blogs and want updates but never update all that often myself! PS I love the puppy! Sometimes you want to comment but don't know what to say...right? That is my self conscious part! Not wanting to sound dumb! But you are not alone in your thoughts!:) I love to blog about Gracie...sometimes when I talk about her at work I think the office mates are like cool whatev...but I think she says the funniest things!:)

The Suttons said...

You are so not pathetic!! I am the exact same way-I check like every day to see if there are any new comments on my blog-hahah. Troy laughs at me-but I almost think that's the best part-it's nice to know how other people think and feel too. I love the picture of the puppy!! You are so funny-love this post :)And no I don't think you're crazy either!! have a great day!